Air in pump basket

Nclonglorn

Jul 2, 2022
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Jandy Stealth VSP, where the pump basket is integral to the pump. After a filter washout/clean up back in May, I noticed that after starting the system back up, I had an air gap in basket, even when running at 2500 rpm.

I was worried, but let the system run. The flow didn’t seem as strong as it should have been. After looking at some sites, I went ahead and ordered a new lid. Before it arrived, I took the filters apart again (they were really dirty anyway) and when I put it all back together, no air in the basket, and I thought all was well and sent the lid back when it finally showed up.

This morning, I shut it down to clean out pump basket again, and sure enough, when I put the cover back on, I’ve got the air gap again.

I tried a couple of reseats and lubed the gasket, but still no joy.

Any ideas on what’s going on?

I have a Hayward 2 speed. I noticed that I started getting air in the pump basket. Inspected and lubed O-ring, reinstalled. No change. Eventually I ordered a new O-ring, lubed it and replaced the old one. For about one week the behavior was about the same. I would go out there and, with the pump off, remove the lid and put it back on. I noticed that over the course of about a week and a half, I was able to get several more degrees of turn on the lid While tightening. Eventually the air went away. I think what was happening is that the old O-ring lost its compressibility, and the new O-ring needed A week or so to deform enough to make a nice tight seal. I would try replacing the O-ring with a brand new one, give it a good lube, and snug it up daily for a week or so and see if the problem persists.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.