Air in Pump Basket

Before I tear this apart....is this leak coming from the suction side or pressure side of the pump? Did the constant air in the basket over the last month finally blow some seals in my pump? Maybe now I have 2 dragons to slay...a suction side leak and a pump leak.

Before I tear this apart and rebuild it...did the leak occur on the suction or pressure side of the pump? Did the pump seals blow out because of the air in the basket over the last month? I may be battling two dragons now...a pump leak and a suction side leak.

I repaired my Hayward Motor this year .. twice, once at the beginning of the year, bad capacitor .. a week later a new seal kit. Found out the hard way their are different seal kits for the 1hp motor. A extended conversation with Leslies pools nailed down the correct kit, do not touch the new seal with your fingers. Also looking at the amount of air present in the pump housing in [B]gitar[/B] system this is not some gasket leak. These types of air leaks are exasperated by hooking up a pool vacuum, to the point where one would loose prime. If it's not the line where the bottom drain was removed it's in the skimmer line. Good luck.

Bligh. Thanks for the heads up. The seals went on the pump after I had the the air in basket for a month so they are definitely different problems. Our skimmer was also replaced by a pool co. at the end of last season. Our manual vac did loose prime when attached. The closed drain piping and tee to the skimmer drain piping is a dogs breakfast of pipes. I am thinking about disconnecting everything prior to the pump and installing new plumbing from the black poly skimmer pipe to the pump with a union. If I disconnect the old bottom drain lines, they are then out of play. Should I pressure test the skimmer line first before installing new fittings? Ideas to pressure test or clear the line??

..Your Welcome.. If it were me or I might suggest that you follow your own advice and remove the bottom drain piping entirely and the dogs breakfast of pipes, leaving only the skimmer & pipe as a possible source. Before moving forward try using the system. If the problem persist it's the new skimmer or the pipe and you have narrowed it to just that. Give it try ... let us know. Best of luck...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.