Air in lines/somewhere

jmbuys

Jun 13, 2018
MA
Seems to have a lot of air in the line this year. Recently opened, not seeing water loss to indicate a leak etc and pump filter are working (water clear).….but there is something strange going on this season.

1. The pump pressure keeps rising from normal (~11) gradually over 24 hours to 17-18 lbs (I keep it on 24x7 the first few days after opening)…at first just assumed it was filter needed cleaning from opening debris….I’ve backwashed and recharged DE 3x….same thing.
2. What I also notice is when I turn the pump off, I immediately hear gurgling in the pipes and the water goes down in the pump basket and I see air coming up the skimmer line (this happens w/out opening pump basket)-not normal.
3. Also after pump is off if I open air valve on filter, ton of air (3-4 minutes) then dirty water starts flowing into the pump basket (odd). If I open air valve when running, hear high pitch air pressure then water sprays out at force…previous seasons I would hear air for a few second then water would trickle out…now it much stronger.
4. Lastly tried to prime pump…shut it off and filled it from hose for 7-8 minutes at pump basket…..water never filled….just see it going into the skimmer line but never fills. Tried w/ only skimmer line open and tried it w/ both skimmer and main drain open...still won't fill.
5. Water clear...FC 8, CC 0, CYA 40, pH 7.4...first backwash dirty but next 2 pretty benign so don't think pressure related to filter getting clogged etc

Any thoughts?
Thx!

Last edited:
Sounds like a suction side leak allowing air into your system. I would review the Suction Side Air Leaks - Trouble Free Pool page and start first with your clear pump basket O-ring (inspect and lube) , then do the same for your drain plugs. Check all unions, check valves, and 3-way valves. Air is sneaky and can get sucked-in just about anywhere. Use flowing water, shaving cream, seran wrap, or smoke to help you try to find the source if possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.