Air going through my pump

Hey again,

OK, here is what I have found so far. I opened up my cartridge filters and cleaned them both out. They were VERY dirty. Did not expect that at all. So cleaned out the entire filter housing and both filters, spotless. I stuck my fingers into the pump just to see if I felt anything. I did not. I put shaving cream around every joint on the suction side of the pump and all piping, unions etc. No air leak.

I have 2 skimmers, 3 water supplies and a suction port used to vacuum which I have never used. The valve at the manifold is closed. Both skimmer valves open, labeled near and far. when I listen by the near skimmer I hear a strange noise that I have never heard, like a low hum of sorts. Far skimmer nothing. Both skimmers sucking with what i think is full suction. All supply jets pumping, the near one sometimes shoots air bubbles due to air getting in somehow.

I lubed every gasket and ring. No leaks anywhere. Just for the heck of it, I opened up the vacuum valve and guess what. All the air bubbles in pump basket gone. Pressure went up a few lbs. to around 14, usually at 10 or so. Skimmers pulling good, supplies all pumping great, even seems like it is pushing more water then originally. I am at a giant loss. I do get the fact that now I am drawing more water back to the pump, but...

The original pump had no tags left on it. It was a Heyward Super Pump. With my 24K gallon pool, 1.5 inch piping I could have used a 3/4 HP or 1HP. I went with the 1HP. I installed this pump/motor combo at the beginning of this season. Has been running flawlessly until last week. Then air in the basket.

What the heck could cause this. Something stuck maybe in the pump and now drawing more water cleared it up? Can I leave it now the way it is drawing back from the 2 skimmers and the vacuum line. Can I damage anything? Any drawbacks?

Thanks all!!

Brian

I don't see a problem if there's no air bubbles in the pump lid. As you state all is working so what's the issue now. I see you went from 3/4 hp to 1 hp. You may have needed to upgrade the impeller and diffuser along with the higher pump.

I am not sure what you mean by upgrade impeller and diffuser. The new Heyward Super Pump is all one assembly, pump and motor. I did not re-use anything from my old assembly. What the heck could have caused this issue with air in the basket? It has been working with this same set up since early May. No air. Also no danger/problems/issues pulling through the vacuum line? Thanks. Sorry so many questions, I am OSD hah.

Also is there another type of cover to put on the vacuum port, a finer mesh type cover. The one right now has like a tic tock tow pattern. Worried it could suck in something or someone hah. Thanks.
If that is a suction side vac port, it should have a solid spring loaded door over it. It is an entrapment risk.

Thanks MK. What do you think about what I had posted about how the air is now gone in the skimmer basket when I started drawing water through the suction side vacuum port? Also besides the entrapment risk is their any other issue with this? Thanks.

Your signature does not show what pump you have, but that would imply that your suction rate through just the skimmer is not sufficient. Might be due to low water level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say. Opening the vac port (if it is not closed at the pool) reduces suction head. So for whatever reason, that reduced the pull of air into the system. You said air in the skimmer basket. Did you mean air in the pump basket?

Correct MK, air in the pump basket. My error. With both skimmers drawing water back I have air in the pump basket. When I open the 1.5 inch vacuum valve, the pump basket fills right up with water. No more air.

As Marty said it, the fact you opened the vacuum port stopped the air bubbles tells me the pump is sucking hard and when the vac port gets opened you're getting more water volume so an air leak at that point may not show as it satisfies the pumps demand. Obviously when the vac port is closed off it'll find an air leak at the suction end of the pump. It's usually in the area: lid gasket, pump wet end drain plugs, suction side pump connection or a valve on the suction side pulling in air. Start at one of the few I listed holding a garden hose flowing over the various areas to see if when the water encompasses it do the air bubbles stop. When you find that spot that's where the air leak is.

Reactions: mknauss
I went over every joint, union, valve etc. I used shaving cream. No air leak found. I am a mechanical contractor so experienced with piping. I am wondering if maybe a slight restriction in one of the skimmer lines coming back to the pump and the additional water now is making up for it.

Try one more thing as we haven't see any pictures of the equipment, I'd let the water flood the ground where the pipes come up to the suction side and see if the bubbles stop. That would mean a leak in that area.....

Thanks for all the help. I am going to be replacing all the above ground piping at the end of this season and installing a VS pump. I will then go from there. Letting the pump pull from the vacuum port is just a temp solution for now but I do understand what you are saying. I will keep plugging away.

Funny as it seems like the skimmers are pulling better with the vacuum port opened up, go figure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.