Air compressor-closing pool advance thought

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
I would like to get the right air compressor to close my pool this October. I want to get the right air compressor for my pool. Saves up all winter for this so I want to make sure I get the right one. Does anyone have any advise as to what type of air compressor to get for in ground pools? Here I talked about it and actually thought that about getting the Air Supply of the Future Cyclone Pro Liner Vac 3HP 120V 2-Stage | 141281002 4128100 4128100P. The price for this actually increased and I want to hop on the sale now before it’s too late. However, I want to make sure to get the right one.

Get the Cyclone. I was going to go compressor route, but didn't want to fight the volume issue. Bought the cyclone....and LOVE it. Lot's of volume and a huge reduction in time. Saved me paying the pool guy. Payback = 1 Day.

This is the model I purchased...4128100P

The cyclone is the correct type of air blower for pool applications. When you blow out lines, etc, you want high air volume flow rates, not high pressure. Typical air compressors provide air bursts at high pressure but fairly low flow rates. High flow/low pressure can be achieved with the cyclone. A good quality shop vac can also provide good air flow/pressure but you might as well get the product that’s designed for pools and used by a lot of the pool professionals for closings.

I thought about the cost of having to repair a broken underground pipe and also the abuse my GF would give me if I screwed up the closing of her pool. When I though about it the cost of the cyclone seemed like an easy purchase and not really that expensive. I figured that buying the cyclone and a few gallons of RV antifreeze and yearly fresh O rings for the plugs it would be three closings and the cyclone would easily pay for itself. I've read that a shop vac works too but I feel safer watching that water blast out with the cyclone. Now I'm in Florida and it's nice not having to worry about closing at all.

I also built a little helper to screw into the skimmers to make the job a bit easier for me. Can't find a photo of it but it's a 1.5" screw in fitting to the bottom of the skimmer with a length of 1.5" PVC to reach about 2' over the pool deck with a 90 and about another 1' of pipe to use to screw it in. I then have about 5' of that thin cheap pool drain hose to run between the PVC and the cyclone. I use stainless clamps with butterfly so it's tool less to slip the hose on the homemade PVC extender. I leave that drain hose on the cyclone.

Cyclone liner vac.jpgClamp stainless steel with thrum screw.jpg1.5in discharge hose.jpg

Last edited:
Get the Cyclone. I was going to go compressor route, but didn't want to fight the volume issue. Bought the cyclone....and LOVE it. Lot's of volume and a huge reduction in time. Saved me paying the pool guy. Payback = 1 Day.

This is the model I purchased...4128100P
Not sure what took me so long after this initial thread, but I just bought the above model number. Thanks for the info y’all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.