Air bubbles

Zamsaf

May 2, 2018
Central fl
Are air bubbles in a pool normal? My pool builder says they are depending on the speed of the variable speed pump especially when I turn it on I get large air bubbles. These go away after a few minutes but then sometimes smaller ones remain

Bubbles in the pool from return jets.
Two scenarios - suction side air leak allowing air into the system or typical champagne sized bubbles from your SWG. When the SWG cycles on, you'll see the bubbles easily. But then they stop when the SWG is in it's off mode. If the bubbles are continuous, you'll want to look at things on the suction side. But VSPs are known to gather air bubbles under the lid when on a low rpm for a while, so they get bumped-up in rpms once or twice a day to purge the air out.

I ran it on high speed yesterday for about 2 hours and had bubbles from all jets.
That's not normal. With the exception of tiny bubbles from the SWG during cycling, it sounds like you have a suction side air leak. Is the pump basket always full of water with no air under the clear lid? Did someone lube the o-ring under that clear lid with pool silicone?

No one added lube to my knowledge. It’s a brand new pump installed about a month ago.
Definitely start there then. A nice amount of pool silicone lube around that o-ring. Check the lower part of the pump as well. Drain plugs have an o-ring and can let air get sucked "in" to the system causing air bubbles, so lube those too. Also make sure the pool water level is adequate at the skimmer(s) - should be at least halfway up the opening, and that the weir door is moving freely and not getting stuck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is part of the process to create chlorine. The SWCG generates chlorine and hydrogen gas. The chlorine gas dissolves into the water before it gets to the pool. The hydrogen does not. So you are seeing hydrogen bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.