Air Bubbles only when Pump Starting

Lissawku10

Jan 23, 2021
Glasgow, KY
I’ have lots of air coming out of the returns when the pump starts. After a few minutes, no more air. The pump hold prime while off, so I don’t think it’s that. I do notice that when the pump shuts off, I can hear a “sloshing” sound in the heat pump. I don’t notice water leaking anywhere though. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suspect an air leak. Perhaps not enough to move water out of your pump strainer pot, or perhaps because of plumbing configuration it doesn't do it, but air is seeping into the system, then you see if purged at start-up. I would check all around the pad (pressure and suction) for any potential places where air might get pulled in. Valves, joints, pressure gauge, etc.

Reactions: jeffchap
it is probably just air coming into the filter after the pump shuts off, the water is returning to the pool.. when the pump primes it is refilling the system with water and expelling the air.. it could be the air relief valve on the filter that is letting air in??

Is there any air in the pump basket when it is running after an hour or so?

it is probably just air coming into the filter after the pump shuts off, the water is returning to the pool.. when the pump primes it is refilling the system with water and expelling the air.. it could be the air relief valve on the filter that is letting air in??

Is there any air in the pump basket when it is running after an hour or so?
There is an air bubble in the pump that does get a little bigger by the end of the day when the pump has ran all day.

The O-ring around the lid of the pre-filter basket is one of the most common sources of suction side leaks. Inspect it closely and if it's in good shape, lubricate it with some pool lube. Otherwise replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.