edmond,OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’ve got air bubbles, a lot, coming out of my two closest return lines and a small amount of air bubbles coming out of my spa return lines. I’ve checked everything. Skimmer basket doesn’t have any visible cracks. Checked Strainer Basket looks fine, replaced gasket, unions connecting pump to return lines. No visible leaks of water upon startup. I’ve had small amounts of air before but this is pretty extreme. I’ve not checked to see if I have any loss of pressure or cracked pipes since the ice storm (im in Oklahoma) but I have not seen a significant amount of water loss or any wet spots in yard. My pressure gauge is at about 18 psi, usually sits at 20. Checked drain plugs. No leaks and replaced gaskets. Should I have a professional check for any air leaks? I don’t know what else to chekc other than to clean filters and see if that will increase pressure.

Is there any air in your pump basket/lid?

when you purge air out of your filter does it stay out? purge the air till only water comes out, then wait 10 minutes and do it again.. does air come out again?

Is there any air in your pump basket/lid?

when you purge air out of your filter does it stay out? purge the air till only water comes out, then wait 10 minutes and do it again.. does air come out again?
Yes. There is air and turbulent bubbles. Not like the streaming flow I’m used to that looks like there’s no water when it’s running good.

yes air comes out of pressure gauge but no the bubbles don’t dissipate

I had a suction side air leak, and it drove me crazy seeing air bubbles in the returns. I ended up replacing the o-rings on the suction side Jandy 3 way valve and that cleared it up. I noticed if I turned the valve all the way to skimmer side or all the way to the cleaner port the bubbles got better or worse. A set of o-rings on Amazon is just a couple of bucks so I ended up swapping out all of mine and no issues since.

if air is getting into your pump basket/lid you have 1 of the following..

1. water level is too low and you are pulling air into the skimmer, look into the skimmer and see if it is pulling air into it...
2. suction side leak.. do you have 2 skimmers? can you run just 1?
3. take the lid off, clean and lube the O ring and reinstall

I’ll post some pics but how would swcg effect it?
SWCG generates bubbles of hydrogen. When my pump is on low, can see the bubbles stream out about a dozen at a time. After running on low for a while and then going to higher, I get a bunch of bubbles at one time. Probably not your issue but trying to rule stuff out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the remedy for this? Or is it normal?
A SWCG creates chlorine and hydrogen gas. The chlorine gas readily goes into the water. The hydrogen gas does not and presents itself as bubbles at the returns.
It means your SWCG is generating chlorine.

To me that's the sound of trapped air making it back to the pool. You most likely have a small suction side leak. Tell me you no bubbles whatsoever in the pump see-through cover.
No air in the pump basket. Definitely hydrogen. If I turn off the SWCG, the bubbles stop too.

What is the remedy for this? Or is it normal?
It is normal.

If you are seeing bubbles in the strainer, and your pool level is good, you probable have a suction side leak.

The easiest way I have found to locate suction side leaks is to use a garden hose to run water over each joint on the suction side of the pump. The idea is that if there is a suction side leak, the water will be sucked in and you will see an improvement with bubbles in the strainer. Sometimes it can take a few minutes flowing water on a leaking joint to see the improvement. Once the leak is located, the repair will vary depending on what you find (o-ring replacement, tightening a clamp, failed pvc joint).

Good luck

Reactions: Shirker
Hey all. Posting this again to see if I’m missing something. My last post about this I had air coming back in to my closest return line from equipment. It’s seemed to have gotten worse and now the closest two plus spa have significant air returning. I’ve replaced the gaskets on the pump lid, gaskets on two small ports on the pump, poured foamy water on all return line connections and pvc connections, foam on the valves and actuators to see if they sucked in any foam. Ive disconnected pump union, checked gasket to make sure it was seated and reconnected. I saw no foam being sucked in. I just cann not seem
To find where air is coming in. I don’t think air is getting sucked in at the skimmer. Water level is proper, just cleaned filters. Not sure what the next step is but the air in the return doesn’t seem right. The pump is about 7 years old. Is there anything internal that could cause this?

That is a great find.. It means the leak is on the main drain line... exactly where is the question... The good thing is you do not "need" a main drain.. And it still works for the times when you do need it..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.