Jurate1

Apr 22, 2021
Tucson
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. I know this question has been asked multiple times. I have tried all the usual fixes. When I turn the skimmer valve "on" I am getting air bubbles from all the pool jets. When I turn the skimmer off they go away. I have checked all the valves with the soapy water spray to the best of my ability and do not see any leaks. I cleaned the pump basket and replace lid making sure it is tight. The water level is about 1/2 way up the skimmer opening.
THere is a vortex in the skimmer basket. I did put the hose in the pool this morning and will try to see if raising water level helps but I thought 1/2 was a good level... The Weir door appears to be opening properly. I did have my Pentair filter replaced/upgraded to the 200 model but that was a few weeks ago and everything was working fine till recently. I do have a call into a pool technician to come out next week to check but I hate to spend $150 dollars if it is an easy fix.... Anything I could be missing? Thanks in advance. Gina

Yes here you go... The only thing I have not done is open up the new Pentair 200 because that is always difficult.
But it is brand new and has a new filter so I did not think that was the cause.

Attachments

• PXL_20220422_172220964.jpg
    PXL_20220422_172220964.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220422_172235044.jpg
    PXL_20220422_172235044.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 25
Your suction side picture shows the one three way valve shutting off the spa suction I assume. Then the other three way valve is open to both lines, assuming one is skimmer and one is main drain? At this setting you are getting a vortex in your skimmer?

Yes I have one valve for the spa suction which is off.
The other valve is the skimmer. I have been told to keep that valve at about 3 pm or 4 pm so that the skimmer is partially open but I have enough suction for my robotic vacumn to work also. If I have the skimmer wide open then my vacumn does not have enough suction to work..

OK -- so the right side of the suction valves shown, one is to the skimmer, and the other line is to a suction side cleaner (not a robot).

If you shut off the suction side cleaner port, you then get bubbles? Or are you getting bubbles when the valve is as shown in your picture?

I do not believe it is a dedicated line for the suction vacumn. That end of the valve/pipe is not labled. I believe it controls water flow/suction to all the pool jets. When I have the Skimmer valve "off" I get no bubbles after about 5 min. But when I open it even slightly I then get bubbles from all the pool jets. The wider I open the more air.

I'm not sure then. I only have the following 4 valves
1 Spa Suction off unless I am cleaning spa
1 Spa Returns open slightly for circulation
1 Water Feature usually off.
1 Skimmer

1 Hayward vacuum connected to a port on the side of the pool.

I guess I will try to minimize use of the Skimmer till I can have a tech come out unless MK you have any other thoughts? I appreciate
your help. It is an old pump. Maybe a bad o-ring that I just don't see leaking...

Air in your returns you focus on the Suction side of the pump. That is the picture on the right above.

Are you getting air out of your returns with the valving set as shown?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes thanks getting bubbles with displayed valve settings. I did not disconnect the vacumn but I did check the hoses and did not see any apparent leaks. Pool tech cannot come out till next Wed. Is it safe to run pump as is for another 5 days? Otherwise pool looks good..

It might be your fill level.
The height my skimmer was installed, having water at the half point/ fill line it always vortexes and draws air. It has to be just a bit more than that to not vortex. Might be the case.
I'd add another inch of water to see what it does then.

Reactions: mknauss
It just started about a weeks ago. The only thing that has been different is that we have had alot of debris in the pool. The Mesquite tree's along the street are blooming and dropping pods and debris constantly. We are cleaning several times a day but I guess it is possible that there is a clog in the skimmer line. Or a bad O ring somewhere...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.