Air bubbles and now rapid water loss

Dec 27, 2017
Marietta, GA
Hi, it is winter in Atlanta. Temperature got down to 24 last week (although only for a few hours)-- so I was running the pool when I realized the next day bubbles coming out of the return jets. I put in a new O ring in pump basket, checked the drain plugs and put some teflon tape on the joint leading into the pump. I checked screws around all the valves, etc. and still had air in the pump and filter pressure was really low. The pump would fill with water and then sound like a toilet flushing over and over. I ended up shutting the pool off and covering the equipment with tarps and a "pine straw bale" wall around the whole thing. Two days later--rapid water loss. Down to bottom of skimmer now and seems to have stopped. Any ideas? Pool Company can't get out until tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum! :wave: Shame it's under such circumstances. Unless you see water leaking at the equipment pad, it sounds like you may have a leak on the suction side (poolside skimmer to the pump). That would explain the large amount of air being sucked into the line before the pump followed by the cycling of air/water in the pump basket trying to keep prime. Once a system is turned off, the suction side is no longer pulling-in air, but can allow water to leak out.

Depending on your pool set-up and plumbing configuration, you may have options, but we don't know without seeing all of your info loaded in the signature. So make sure to update your sig with all of that to include whihc test kit you use. You might also consider posting a pic of your pool equipment pad for us. It will give us some clues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.