Air bubble under pump lid

Jun 11, 2016
Boston, MA
I have been tracing the air bubble under pump lid for entire season.

1. Every time when I started the pump, there are some air coming in. It took 4,5 min for them to be purged out. During the normal operation, there are always tiny air bubble here and there under pump lid, but nothing major.

2. After shutting off the pump, there are usually a few very small air bubble on the top of lid. Overnight, there will be several more. But unlike the quarter size big one sitting on the top, in my case, these are all tiny bubbles scattered around under the lid. That leads me think about leaking somewhere.

3. I have three valves in front of pump, one from MD, and two for skimmers. Currently the MD is open. But every time, when I shut off MD valve, I can see more air coming in. Open MD, most gone. Water hose check the MD valve, no difference.

4. I replaced the oring twice and lubricated very well. Nothing changed. Using water hose trick, couldn't see big difference since my air bubbles are so tiny. Could does Pump lid itself leak? I don't want to replace lid until I am sure since it is not cheap.

5. Called PB. Was told some air are normal, and I should not worry.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Some air in the basket is normal and don't worry. :) As long as it doesn't keep increasing to the point where the pump loses prime. If you get a few bubbles in the lid that stay the same size through the entire pump run cycle then it its fine.

Today I spent a good amount of time next to the pump to check the pattern of air bubble. What I noticed there is a spot at the edge of the pump lid leaking air. Once every 10-15 min, once it accumulates to certain amount, you will see a stream of air bubbles coming in. Replace and lubricate oring doesn't help. Could anyone shed some lights on the next step?

thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.