Aiper Scuba S1 Review

Dang, that’s awesome. Would love to have seen a before and after of this. I sent my pro back today, couldn’t tell a vacuum had been in the pool after its first run. The fine filter was useless, it just spit dirty water back out the top so the pool looked the same the next morning as everything settled back on the floor. Betta seems to be doing a good job though. I may try out another robot vacuum soon, leaning towards the standard S1 or the standard Beatbot AquaSense.

Dang, that’s awesome. Would love to have seen a before and after of this. I sent my pro back today, couldn’t tell a vacuum had been in the pool after its first run. The fine filter was useless, it just spit dirty water back out the top so the pool looked the same the next morning as everything settled back on the floor. Betta seems to be doing a good job though. I may try out another robot vacuum soon, leaning towards the standard S1 or the standard Beatbot AquaSense.

Yes Eco mode is floor only. This problem has been reported by others as well.
Yes, Eco mode is floor only but in 45 minute increments every other day for 3 cycles. Wall mode is a full 3 hours of just floor cleaning. No way can my pools floor be “totally” clean in 45 minutes so that could be why I like the results. As for the walls, that’s a whole other story.

Yes, Eco mode is floor only but in 45 minute increments every other day for 3 cycles. Wall mode is a full 3 hours of just floor cleaning. No way can my pools floor be “totally” clean in 45 minutes so that could be why I like the results. As for the walls, that’s a whole other story.
Correct, I thought you asked if it was run in floor only mode, which it was in Eco mode.

Got an email back from aipier. They've given me some troubleshooting that I've already tried and asked for a video, but also essentially confirmed that their robot is only for flat bottomed pools and any incline or even slick surface (vinyl liner) will not work well. I'm going to work on my return now and have already just bit the bullet on the beatbox.

So my Scuba started up today after 48 hr rest in Eco cleaning. Today it ran in a diagnol S turn fashion which allowed to navigate the transition from the deeper to the shallow end. It also didn't have this problem while doing S turns length wise in the pool.

It seems it's only the S turns where is running from side to side where it can't get past the transition. It's too bad it doesn't have intelligent software and mapping to allow for it to figure this out and eliminate the side to side S pattern.

Got an email back from aipier. They've given me some troubleshooting that I've already tried and asked for a video, but also essentially confirmed that their robot is only for flat bottomed pools and any incline or even slick surface (vinyl liner) will not work well. I'm going to work on my return now and have already just bit the bullet on the beatbox.
They never said anything to me about flat bottom. My pool is only 6.6' deep with a 3.6' shallow end. They would go out of business if they advertised that!

I am now communicating with them via Amazon where they offered me a refund. I accepted but they haven't gotten back to me. :unsure:

They never said anything to me about flat bottom. My pool is only 6.6' deep with a 3.6' shallow end. They would go out of business if they advertised that!

I am now communicating with them via Amazon where they offered me a refund. I accepted but they haven't gotten back to me. :unsure:
Its been mentioned in this thread a few times. I think its not that it can't handle a slope, but that it doesn't handle steep slopes well.

Here is their email copy and pasted

Hi, thanks for contacting us, we are sorry for the delay.

Please rest assured that we will always stand behind our product.

For the issue, I want to make sure what caused the cleaner failure, please kindly check the information below to find the reason:

1. A clogged filter will cause insufficient water spray volume and slow walking speed of the device. Please check and clean the filter bag of the device in time.

2. Please check if the front roller brush or wheel is entangled with foreign objects, resulting in slow walking speed. Please clean the foreign objects wrapped around the device in time.

3. When the height of the swimming pool drain cover is higher than the device chassis, the device will be set up and move in circles. Please manually help the device get out.

4. This model is designed for flat swimming pools. For pools with a steep slope, the device might move slowly or freeze.

5. If the swimming pool material is too smooth and the device slips, the device might move slowly or freeze.

It's better to provide a video for us to confirm the issue, after confirming the issue, we will give you a solution ASAP. Looking forward to your reply.

Reactions: HermanTX
They told me it was a "bug" and they are working on a fix. And that they would update/replace those machines once the bug is fixed.

I think the more people that contact them with the problem the better. Perhaps it will push them to get this sorted out sooner rather than later. The bot space is very competitive right now.

It is getting competitive and that is a great thing. You know what you dont hear anymore, is someone recommending a Dolphin S20. We now have many more choices, and our pricing options are getting better.
I think we’re still a year or two away from this technology really solving all our cleaning needs. In the meantime, I’m settling for “half a loaf” (or 3/4 loaf) to avoid pressure cleaners with hoses and electric bots with long cables all over the place. With my new Betta Plus doing its job quite well on the surface, my pool floor is staying remarkable clean, so I’m using the Scuba S-1 every other day and might even get by with every third day. With a 2 year warranty, using it every 2nd or 3rd day plus only having a 5 month season, I might get 3 years out of this one and, by then, hopefully a next generation bot will come along and be the answer to our prayers. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙏.

So apparently according Aiper, they claim to have updated the software to deal with the issue of the machine not getting over the transition hump to the shallow end while doing S turns horizontally.

"Thank you for your reply.

We have indeed updated the software based on your feedback. This update focuses on optimizing all the feedback and suggestions we received some time ago. We started working on this matter a few months ago, and fortunately, we have made a breakthrough, so you don’t have to wait another two or three months. Please try to upgrade the firmware. If the problem still occurs on the upgraded machine, we will help you to return the unit and issue a full refund for your purchase.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Yohanna
Aiper Customer Support"

They provided some instructions on how to update the firmware which I will give it a try. While I'm hopeful they actually rolled out a solution to deal with this, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So apparently according Aiper, they claim to have updated the software to deal with the issue of the machine not getting over the transition hump to the shallow end while doing S turns horizontally.

"Thank you for your reply.

We have indeed updated the software based on your feedback. This update focuses on optimizing all the feedback and suggestions we received some time ago. We started working on this matter a few months ago, and fortunately, we have made a breakthrough, so you don’t have to wait another two or three months. Please try to upgrade the firmware. If the problem still occurs on the upgraded machine, we will help you to return the unit and issue a full refund for your purchase.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Yohanna
Aiper Customer Support"

They provided some instructions on how to update the firmware which I will give it a try. While I'm hopeful they actually rolled out a solution to deal with this, I'm not getting my hopes up.
Are you able to share the firmware upgrade process? This may be helpful for many of us now and/or the future.

I’m confused. Are they saying that the S-1 Scuba has firmware that us end users can actually upgrade? I find that hard to believe plus you only made them aware of this issue a few days ago and they have a solution already. I may have been born at night, but not last night.
I hope I’m dead wrong here but …………….
Anxiously awaiting your results. Good luck.

Reactions: JC707
My aiper saga continues. Reached out again to confirm no package received, gave them the tracking number AGAIN showing delivery to the incorrect state and all that nonsense.

Customer rep said give it 3 more days. If I didn't have all your reviews to go by, I'd say I got scammed and would ask for the charge to be reserved on my credit card.

I'm pretty jealous of everyone getting their deliveries. As described a few pages back, my scuba was delivered to Texas. I reached out to customer service then escalated to upper supervisor, no luck.

Was told sometimes it gets diverted to their main hub before moving on but I'm not so sure as the delivery started in California where I live.

Will probably end up asking for a refund and rebuying.

Sounds similar to the situation with my S1 Scuba shipment. I ordered both the S1 Suba and S1 Surfer directly from Aiper on Wednesday. I'm located in Phoenix. The S1 Surfer shipped separately from the Scuba. The S1 Surfer shipped out from Rancho Cucamonga, CA on Thursday via FedEx, scheduled to be delivered today. It was out for delivery today. The FedEx truck stopped in front of my house to deliver the package. The driver spent a few minutes trying to find the package but couldn't locate it. Either it was scanned in but didn't make it on the truck or got loaded onto the wrong truck. It's been rescheduled for delivery on Sunday. So I should at least have my S1 Surfer tomorrow assuming FedEx doesn't screw up again loading it onto the delivery truck.
The S1 Scuba was shipped out of Stockton, CA on Thursday via Amazon Shipping with a scheduled delivery date of Sunday. I found the track.amazon.com webpage which gives the most up to date tracking info for Amazon Shipping shipments. The package arrived at an Amazon facility here in Phoenix Friday night. Great! I'm thinking I might receive both the S1 Surfer and Scuba today. I was hoping to see the tracking info update this morning to show it was out for delivery. That never happened. The tracking finally just updated late this afternoon. My shipment had just arrived in San Diego, CA. Huh?? Amazon tracking was now showing my package would be delivered by UPS with a new delivery date of Thursday, May 30th. WTF... This makes zero sense. The package was here in Phoenix last night. Why did Amazon Shipping send it 350 miles away to San Diego to be handed off to UPS? They couldn't hand it off to UPS here in Phoenix? Doesn't make sense that Amazon would even need to hand it off to UPS when they could have just loaded it onto one of their own trucks for delivery.

Let's see if this works....
Thanks for posting this! I suspected the S1 Scuba's WiFi access point would be used for firmware updates. I won't be receiving my S1 Scuba for a few more days. If it works great out of the box with my pool and doesn't act wonky, then I may not need to upgrade the firmware. Good to know I have the option to upgrade the firmware if it doesn't perform as expected.

There is hope!

After updating the firmware and charging the Scuba I ran it in floor only mode...

It started off sorta bumbling around going from the shallow end to the deep end before it started to run in a more normalized S pattern in a perpendicular pattern to the length of the pool.

Initially the Scuba got stuck on my drain, which afik has never happened before. I quickly pulled it off with the hook (I should've waited). It started up it's pattern again before getting hung up on the other drain, but this time I waited to see if it would unstuck itself. Sure enough it did after a minute or so. After getting going again it briefly got hung on the other drain again before managing to get off it and continuing on its merry way.

The Scuba was advancing towards the transition in that perpendicular S pattern which was always the problem pattern. I will point out for reasons mentioned later, that while it was running in this pattern it was at a slight 2 or 3 degree angle so not perfectly perpendicular.

Anyway, I stood there watching as it advanced to the point where it would normally get stuck. Once it reached this point at first it appeared to me it was getting hung up in the same spot again, but I kept watching...

And watching some more....

About to throw in the towel, what I didn't notice was that the bot was actually advancing but not quite at the same level it would on flat ground. But eventually it cleared the Crest and alas was in the shallow end.

I say "There is hope" because I'm not totally convinced the advancement was not due to the 3 degree angle it was running which may have assisted the bot's ability to advance just enough.

Stay tuned for round 2....

Last edited:
Reactions: Timetofloat

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support