AGP with Safety fence, but solar reel issues

1. The fence is plastic and poorly designed. It's just a visual fence (looks real till you touch it) so cutting any part of 1 section would result in that section falling apart.

2. Till we have a lockable fence in place, code and insurance require the barrier to remain. Trust me, I would love to rip it off and throw it away, (and that will happen somewhere down the line), just for now, I need to make something my 5' tall wife can handle on her own if I end up going back to work full time.

Which all leads me back to 2 post or stand system, high above the rail, with a geared handle to make it easy to take off. I just need to find a 27 to 30 foot roller that can handle the weight of the cover and water without deflection (bending). Sorry, I'm am engineering background.

Reactions: Newdude
If you already have a fence around your property why did they require this addon?

You can build a mount for a solar cover roller, I did for my above ground pool using 2 x 4 boards :)

The problem your going to have is the height of the roller, you will need to build some kind of platform to stand on to roll it up... you will also need much bracing on your stand to keep it from falling over...

Sorry to hijack, but I was planning a solar cover reel like this. Bought the solar cover and reel on discount last fall. Was planning on wooden posts just like you show. One question: What diameter is your aluminum tube? The one that came with my reel is only about 2 inches diameter and I feel like it will bend with a wet cover on there. 16x32 pool, so 18ft-ish span between supports.

Andrew

Sorry to hijack, but I was planning a solar cover reel like this. Bought the solar cover and reel on discount last fall. Was planning on wooden posts just like you show. One question: What diameter is your aluminum tube? The one that came with my reel is only about 2 inches diameter and I feel like it will bend with a wet cover on there. 16x32 pool, so 18ft-ish span between supports.

Andrew
LoL... Absolutely no problem there Andrew. We are all here to spitball. :)

I'm trying to find the 4 inch tube since I'm spanning 28 plus feet and I don't want that puppy to fall.

Like a wet noodle. My reel was 22 ft wide to include the 20 for the pool. It was 6 inch thick and the cross section looked like a flower. :flower:

It was as reinforced as could be and even it sagged and needed newer and larger bolts each year. It’s a tremendous amount of weight with no center support.

mine is 4 inches aluminum with a hexagon shape in it and only 18 feet wide and will sag some with the cover on it.. :)

We cut our 28 ft cover in to four wedge shaped pieces. Sometimes we neatly roll them and place them in the shade, others, we grab an edge and just drag them through the ladder and leave them in a messy pile next to the pool. They're easier to handle, and to put back on, when rolled, but rolling (and putting them back on) is only easy if you get in the pool with them to do it - it can be done leaning through the ladder, but it's not easy. I don't think there is a quick and easy way to get a solar cover on and off with the safety fence. I'd love it if someone came along to prove me wrong though. On the bright side, it keeps volleyballs in more often than not. We'd spend more time chasing balls around the yard than swimming if we didn't have one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.