AGP Pool sat for the winter where to start?

Mcham

Jun 29, 2018
Waco, TX
We partially closed out pool last October and drained it down past the inlets so we could clean and store the sand filter and saltwater pumps. Well a series of events happen and we never got past that. There have been no chemicals put in the water that has sat for the winter and no cover was placed on the pool. Now I want to know where to start? Do I fill it and start the pumps? Or drain it Andy start over after throughly cleaning the liner and stuff From the bottom? I really want to salvage this pool. Last year was our first year with it And I was able to maintain it wonderfully. I just ordered refills for my TF-100 kit. Now im just trying to figure out which method would be better and cost less. Drain with a submersible pump from harbor frieght and scrub then refill? Or fill it and then what?
Thank you for the help in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 11
Drain, scrub and refill would be easier then the cleanup, SLAM Process, and amount of chlorine jugs needed to clear the water.

Just clean out the debris and hose down the walls and pump out the dirty water. Don’t really have to scrub or use any detergents. Hose it down then refill. Chlorine will do the rest of the work after refilling.

Be careful not to tear the liner. You might want to leave a few inches of water in the bottom at all times so nothing shifts on you.

Ok great to know I didn't think about that And the liner shifting. So it Jus like opening a fresh new AGP at that point right? Thanks for the help?

Yup, you did it last year.

If you want advice then post pH, TA, CH of your fill water.

Depending on how much you dilute the water in the bottom through filling a bit and draining a few times you may need to do a final SLAM Process. When you fill you can do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see what you got.

Ok and when we set up initially last year it was before I found this awesome site so I just dumped the salt recommended for the gallons of water we had and some liquid bleach to help the first few day before the SWG had caught up along with cya into water. I never checked anything out previously to doing that on first day. So I basically found TFP once I had my first prob which was balancing my calorie with the SWG at that time. Should those still be my first steps, water, salt, Liquid bleach, cya, and filter on for 24 hrs? I'm sorry in advance if there is already a check list posted somewhere here as to start up order for AGPs just point me that way and I can read through.

Post tests of your fill water to know the sequence you should do for your water.

Water ...
Then you can at the same time ...
- Adjust pH into the 7's if needed
- Add liquid chlorine to 5-7 ppm
- Add CYA by the sock method to 70
- Add salt to 3000 ppm

CYA and salt can take a day or two to mix so run pump and filter for at least 24 hours and until CYA is totally dissolved. Add CL as needed to maintain 5-7 ppm until you get your SWG going.

Once salt & CYA is dissolved then startup your SWG and let it take over chlorination.

? thank you simple right lol . I still have some liquid CYA left from last year I would like to try and use that's up first then test it and compensate the remainder, if needed, with the granular and sock method. There is no issue in using both right? Would I need to give a couple days between for the liquid to register correct amount like you do the granular?

? thank you simple right lol . I still have some liquid CYA left from last year I would like to try and use that's up first then test it and compensate the remainder, if needed, with the granular and sock method. There is no issue in using both right? Would I need to give a couple days between for the liquid to register correct amount like you do the granular?

No problem mixing liquid and dry stabilizer.

I hear the liquid stabilizer mixes quicker then the dry but I never tried it to know. Use PoolMath to determine what the effect of adding the stabilizer should have.

Turn on your SWG once the salt is dissolved. You don't have to wait for your CYA to get to 70. Test your CYA every few days and add stabilizer as necessary until you get to 70. We are not yet into the summer months when you need the CYA 70 yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.