AGP on Concrete Install questions for tight space

May 20, 2015
Staten Island, NY
Hey eveyone. I am running into an issue with the space I have for my pool install. I purchased an 8x12. I had a masonary contractor lay a leveled concrete slab for my pool install. However, he ended up taking valuable space that was attained for my install to build a retaining wall for dirt to now fall onto the slab. So my space original was 10x14 is now 10x12' 10" alittle under 13ft. I am having a few concerns about the ability to install this pool. Will I need a sandbox built for the buttress free brackets that extend out from the sides? How far out from the pool wall does the bracket protrude? Can those be cut shorter if the pool is on a concrete slab? I have 2 pro-installers coming this week to give me an estimate and let me know if the space will work. What do you guys think? Can the space work? Sorry in advance for all the questions. Worried that I just got jammed up with this retaining wall.
above-ground-butress-free-bottom-brakcet.jpg

The pool is similar to this one, probably is this just different name from store.

Manual calls for 13ft 8" for the length of the pool, but actual pool dimensions are 11ft 8". I have slightly under 13ft in length.

8x12-schematics.jpg

The width of the pool is 8ft 6". I have roughly 9.5ft-10ft for this pool before my deck posts will be installed. Do I really need a sandbox to install this on flat concrete? I am assuming the added length is for the bottom support brackets and sand perimeter to look uniform around the pool. I'd like to avoid the sand completely, is it possible? My concerns are the added ft around the pool size and the brackets on the sides that make it extend from 8' 6" to 13".

I'd get a little box out of concrete for that one support, done correctly and tied into the existing pad. You don't want it pulling away from the pad. Mine hade 1" thick pavers under the regular uprights, but 4" thick solid block under the buttress stress points. Lots of downward pressure at the end of the bottom support. It's pushing outward in the vertical, the bottom of the upright is the pivot point. The pressure is transferred to the horizontal member.

The gussets are some serious bent plates. Most of the 1000 lbs of scrap on mine came from the 8 supports.

Do you think the space I have will work for the size of the pool? The diagram is requiring 2.5 ft on each side of the pool, for the buttress free support bracket. That would put me at 13ft and i have 10ft. The width of the pool is 8ft 6". How far do the brackets come out from the pool wall? I circled them in the first image of my post.

Also, i only have 13 ft length wise. The pool is only 11ft 8". I don't see any support brackets for the width, so why would it require an additional foot on each side?

The extra foot is for room to work. If you subtract 2 feet from the width its 11 feet. You have 10 feet. if it was me I'd get the pad poured and cured before install. I would not cut any support. It's an engineered system.

Supports are for flat sides. Radius ends don't need them.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.