BowserWowser

Feb 28, 2021
Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've gotten some quotes from local installers and need to finalize with one. I work in contracts for a living, so when these companies send me a "contract" that consists of nothing more than a price with vague description and ask me to sign, I get anxious. I want to be sure I'm covering everything, so I am going back to them via email (because my contracts heart loves to have things in writing) with a list clearly delineating who is responsible for what. Can you let me know if you think I'm missing something I should include?

For the estimate of $2,850 - 50% down payment, 50% at completion - [COMPANY] will:
  • remove grass and level the area where the pool will be installed
  • apply a level base layer of sand for the pool to set on
  • spray grass/weed killer
  • provide and install under liner pad
  • provide and install pavers to support each pool wall support post
  • provide and install level pavers for equipment to set on
  • build/install customer-provided 27' round resin pool, foam cove, and unibead liner
  • install and connect customer-provided skimmer, filter, pump, and salt water chlorine generator
Customer, not [COMPANY], will be responsible for:
  • securing pool permit from the city
  • having utility lines marked prior to installation
  • allowing access to yard on scheduled installation date(s)
  • providing pool kit, liner, foam cove, skimmer, filter, pump, and salt water chlorine generator
  • handling (using, disposing of, etc.) dirt dug up during ground prep/leveling
  • providing hose/water for filling
  • coordinating/providing appropriate electrical service for pool equipment

only thing I would add is

• provide and install pavers to support each pool wall support post 4 x 8 x 16 block

all Schedule 40 PVC
use 2 inch pvc pipe suction side
1.5 inch or 2 inch pressure side
use Jandy neverlube valves 2 way on each suction and return side pipe (how many returns are you getting? 2?

use high temp unions on pump (these are 2 inch, make sure your pump can use the 2 inch...

It will cost extra to hard pipe everything. The installer I thought we were going to use recommended we start with the flex that come with the equipment (he said the Hayward ones are good quality) and convert to hard pipe later when we're sure of our setup. My husband is pretty handy with plumbing stuff, so I think we'll be able to hard pipe it ourselves later (he's currently more tied up than usual because he's taking classes, so this is all falling much more on me right now than I really expected).

That‘s ok too... a lot of us wait to hard plumb until we have time to consider our set up and work out a plan for it.

Are you there during installation?

handling (using, disposing of, etc.) dirt dug up during ground prep/leveling
Try to have a place in mind close to the pool site where you can put this dirt. It is likely going to be a lot more dirt than most people realize and a huge pain to move around with a wheelbarrow.

They likely will not dump it far but if you can find an out of the way area near the pool it will be less if eye sore while you dispose of it.

Reactions: Newdude
That‘s ok too... a lot of us wait to hard plumb until we have time to consider our set up and work out a plan for it.

Are you there during installation?
We will be home for installation since it likely now won't be until May or June.

Sand only under the liner.
level to lowest point, no adding fill to get level.
It’s gonna take a long time to fill with a hose. When will the liner be cut in for the skimmer and return?
I don't know the answer to your question...whenever the installers do that 🤷‍♀️ To your point about leveling/sand, I do know they will dig down to level, then do the sand 👍 Everyone around here (installers and pool salespeople) has said about 2-3 days to fill the pool using the hose (I have no idea how true that is, but I can say we're on city water, not a well, so we don't have to worry about overexerting a well pump).

Try to have a place in mind close to the pool site where you can put this dirt. It is likely going to be a lot more dirt than most people realize and a huge pain to move around with a wheelbarrow.

They likely will not dump it far but if you can find an out of the way area near the pool it will be less if eye sore while you dispose of it.
Yeah, I know most people don't expect as much dirt as they end up with! Our back yard isn't very big (the pool will take up more than half of it!), so we don't have a whole lot of options, but I already know we might actually hire a professional landscaping company to come in and appropriately grade the remainder of our yard after the pool is in. It's currently graded more toward the house than away when it should really be the opposite. I'm probably one of the few who is looking forward to having that dirt!

AND we were supposed to have a new privacy fence installed last week, but one of the parts needed for that is nowhere to be found (thank you, pandemic!), so now the fence likely won't be done until after the pool is installed when we'd been planning to have it done before...so I'm pretty sure our back yard will mostly be a mud pit for the entire summer :p

Reactions: Shirker
I don't know the answer to your question...whenever the installers do that 🤷‍♀️
OK, this is usually when the water is a couple of inches below the return.

To your point about leveling/sand, I do know they will dig down to level, then do the sand 👍
The reason for my comment was to say that the sand doesn't get used for leveling the pool. Sand only goes under the liner to provide a smooth base for the liner. The lower rails and blocks need to be set on undisturbed ground. Never on top of sand. I'd be surprised if the installers put it on sand, but I wanted to make sure your wording is accurate since you want to provide a fairly detailed scope of work.

Everyone around here (installers and pool salespeople) has said about 2-3 days to fill the pool using the hose (I have no idea how true that is, but I can say we're on city water, not a well, so we don't have to worry about overexerting a well pump).
Taking about 2-3 days to fill from a hose seems about right. It'll be important to get chlorine in the water ASAP. A day or two without chlorine, but anything more than that and you invite algae to the party. As insurance, you could dump in a bottle of generic plain bleach into the water while you're filling it.
If you plan to follow TFP guidelines for taking care of your pool, I'd also put a line in your SOW that the installers are not to put any chemicals in the water.

On that note, have you purchased your test kit yet? The TF-Pro *Salt is a great kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1. Don’t get me wrong I’m thrilled that you found somebody, but I’m skeptical of anyone that will take on the responsibility of somebody else’s product if they could have sold you their own. There can be many hiccups that aren’t their fault, such as missing/damaged pieces and will have to refer you back to your manufacturer while still deserving their pay for trying. That will never go over well with the customer so most won’t take on the possible headaches.

Reactions: Pool_Medic
On that note, have you purchased your test kit yet? The TF-Pro *Salt is a great kit.
Thank you for that link! The last time I went to their site, they were only showing the TF-100 test kit for some reason, so I wasn't sure what else I'd need to add. I'm glad they have the salt kit back!

I’d consider yourself lucky to find a company to install a pool that wasn’t bought from them.
Because of the market and shortages thanks to the pandemic and everything right now, a lot of installers don't HAVE pools to sell! When I started looking into all this LAST summer, the first question installers asked was if I already had the pool because they were sold out everywhere. So this year, I nabbed a pool ASAP to avoid that issue. I did have one guy on FB freak out on me when I asked for local installer recommendations a couple weeks ago because he said why would anyone install a pool they didn't sell...he eventually admitted he worked only on inground pools, so, clearly, he wasn't as familiar with the current AGP market/environment. I've found at least 5 different installers locally willing to put our AGP in for us this year. One did try to get us to buy a pool from Leslie's, but holy unreasonably high prices, Batman! I understand paying a little more for the convenience of a local company for handling warranty issues and such, but they wanted about $10k for JUST the pool - no liner, no equipment. I've spent less than $8k on everything combined. And installation would have cost the same either way.

I will say the going rate seems to be about $2k for installation, but those companies don't provide the sand, pavers, equipment pad, etc. I'm going with a more expensive option because I don't want to have to find/coordinate those things myself.

I really, REALLY wish I could just walk into a pool store and say I want this pool, here's a check - get it permitted, installed, hooked up, etc., and be done with it. But, apparently, no one does that. As it is, I hate that I have to still find my own electrician.

^^^^^^^^. All of that and we feel your pain. Please please PLEASE do not misinterpret any of our comments as being your fault/doing. In these times you have to play with the hand you are dealt and we are simply pointing out possible issues you may see with the bad cards. :)

My installer installs pools bought from elsewhere - bought mine through Pool Factory.

^^^^^^^^. All of that and we feel your pain. Please please PLEASE do not misinterpret any of our comments as being your fault/doing. In these times you have to play with the hand you are dealt and we are simply pointing out possible issues you may see with the bad cards. :)
No offense taken! Despite the frustrations of these unique times, I'm kinda glad I have the opportunity to get the all-resin pool instead of what the local companies were selling ;)

I’m 100% behind the resin movement (y) Steel and water never played well together and they don’t build em like they used to. Those forever pools I look back on fondly from growing up cannot be bought today.

Plenty of companies would of taken your order last fall and had your pool kit in stock. Not a chance I would install a pool that I didn’t sell, to each their own but it’s a warranty/client nightmare.
Not in my area. I called around. Pools were long gone by about July. Good thing I didn't call you to install my pool :)

Reactions: magiteck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.