AGP Heater - Hayward HP50HA questions

Apr 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Hi Folks,

Long time lurker/first time poster.

I currently live in Buffalo, NY and have a 15' above ground pool that I would like to add a heater to since my pool is in partial shade.

I came across the Hayward unit (HP50HA Heat Pump | Hayward Residential and Commercial Pool Products) online and it looks like it would be a perfect fit for my needs and something I should be able to do myself.

I have a few questions, especially for those who own/operate the unit:

* How to do you like the unit? Any issues/problems/repairs?

* Piping install. By couplers - is it like a plumbing slip fit connection/compression fitting or do I need special adapters?

* Based on the manual it states the intake needs to be above the water line. Is that true or a mistake?

* Would I need special adapters (non standard threads) on my Hayward pump/value to switch over from hoses to hard piping?

Thanks folks.

I installed mine this past fall and am happy with it so far. It allowed us to swim the whole month of october. Mine is hard plumbed/glued pvc pipe, there are pics in the link in my sig. I don't know why the inlet would need to be above the water line.

Didn't even notice it. Spring and fall electric bills are always lower anyway. It was definitely less than my big summer and winter electric bills. Your signature says 36k IG pool and your post says 15' AG pool. The HP50HA would likely be too small for a 36k gal pool.

Sorry about the sig, that's not my config at all - not sure where it is coming from to be honest. Checked my profile and don't see it.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the sig, that's not my config at all - not sure where it is coming from to be honest. Checked my profile and don't see it.

Thanks

Nevermind found it and removed it - not sure where that sig came from.

It is plastic. There are plastic panels mounted to a steel frame. There is a bonding lug for bonding to the pool equipment.

There were a few members whose signatures got crossed with other members in a software upgrade a few years ago. Looks like you were one of the lucky ones. :)

The inlet does not have to be higher than the water level. The reason this is in the manual is in case static pressure from the pool on the heat pump pressure switch keeps the heat pump on when the pump goes off. In most cases this does not happen. If it does, the pressure switch should be adjusted by a qualified technician.
Hi Folks,

Long time lurker/first time poster.

I currently live in Buffalo, NY and have a 15' above ground pool that I would like to add a heater to since my pool is in partial shade.

I came across the Hayward unit (HP50HA Heat Pump | Hayward Residential and Commercial Pool Products) online and it looks like it would be a perfect fit for my needs and something I should be able to do myself.

I have a few questions, especially for those who own/operate the unit:

* How to do you like the unit? Any issues/problems/repairs?

* Piping install. By couplers - is it like a plumbing slip fit connection/compression fitting or do I need special adapters?

* Based on the manual it states the intake needs to be above the water line. Is that true or a mistake?

* Would I need special adapters (non standard threads) on my Hayward pump/value to switch over from hoses to hard piping?

Thanks folks.

Just spoke to the Heat Pump guys at Hayward. The manual is being changed as this Heat Pump does not have a pressure snitch, it has a flow switch. My bad.

So ground level next to the filter in fine then correct?

Thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

It is plastic. There are plastic panels mounted to a steel frame. There is a bonding lug for bonding to the pool equipment.

There were a few members whose signatures got crossed with other members in a software upgrade a few years ago. Looks like you were one of the lucky ones. :)

Thank you for the info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.