AGP hard plumbing - advice needed

Aug 5, 2018
Amelia
Hi all,
I've been preparing the site where an INTEX 32x16x52 pool will be installed.
And hopefully this will be happening in the next few weeks.
I'll be switching to hard plumbing from the first moment and since this is my very first try with something this big I thought i'd ask some advice on this great forum.
There's plenty of videos on youtube about installing through the wall skimmer, so I won't bother you with that, I just hope I won't mess everything up when cutting.... Anyway I'd like to hear some advice wether this plumbing scheme is correct or if I'm missing some component that should be installed.
TIA
Giuseppe (ITA)IMG_20190414_093833296.jpg

Giu,

Welcome and congrats on the new pool! My comments are specific to the piping only. Connections to the pool don't look right but I don't have first-hand experience with AG pools so I'll leave that to others that do.
  • You should add unions around the equipment such as the pump and filter for so you can remove for maintenance and repair without cutting the pipe..
  • You don't need all those valves on the SWG, unions would be fine. If you want to make it removable for some reason you can build a spool-piece to replace it instead of having a by-pass.
  • If you add a heater you should add a check-valve between the heater and the swg.
  • Pool equipment ball valves are much preferred to standard PVC valves. They can be rebuilt and they stay easy to operate. Any good pool brand model such as Jandy Never-Lube.
  • Fittings should be schedule 40 pressure, not the cheaper DVW schedule 40.
I hope this helps. Not really related to piping layout but where is the power and what voltage is it?

Chris

You did a fine job with that. I agree with Chris about the unions. I was going to say it but he beat me to it :hug:

One other thing I did was make the area under the skimmers ready for spill/splash over. I dug down about 3" and put gravel in that hole. I then put a stepping stone so it does not touch the side of the pool and slanted away from the pool a smidgen. Make this area big enough so any water that gets splashed out with play or overflow from a big rain hits the stepping stone. This will help keep the water from washing the dirt/sand from under the pool.

Kim:kim:

That's a BIG pool. Bigger than my in-ground, I think. Mine is something like 12x32 at the widest but freeform. So....

I do fine with just one skimmer. I wish it was further down the wall from where it is so it would be at the extreme downwind end. That way surface debris gets blown in instead of drifting pas to collect at the end to get waterlogged and sink so I get to vacuum it up. In brief: make sure the skimmer is downwind from the prevailing summer breeze.

I would have more than two returns. My pool has three. I wish it had four. Or six. The more returns with aimable eyeballs, the better you are able to adjust the flow to skim. You can get smaller eyeballs to keep the velocity up and equalize the flow so the closest one doesn't get it all.

If you do go with dual skimmers, put the valve closer to the skimmer. Somebody drops something, somebody steps on a pipe, whatever.... you want to be able to staunch the flow.

I'm not sure if I should post here anyway, I have another question since I can't figure out correct filter size for the mentioned pool given I'll be using a 1,5hp VS pump (extract of the tech sheet attached)
Can someone shed some light?

Attachments

• 1555400089910_1555400078182_1555399949189_1555399944040_1555399936621_1555399931744_1555399920...png
    1555400089910_1555400078182_1555399949189_1555399944040_1555399936621_1555399931744_1555399920...png
    173.7 KB · Views: 8
It's fine, even a good idea, to keep your posts under one thread so everyone can follow your "story".

I will suggest a size for a sand filter. 24" is adequate, 30" is much better and you will not regret the extra expense

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.