aliciajean122

Jul 12, 2021
Chesapeake, VA
We just bought our pool and getting ready to run the electrical. The guys at the store specifically told me I need a 110v 20a twist lock GFCI connection. After realizing I have to run the GFCI protection at the box, I also realized I can’t find a 110v receptacle. The pump states it’s a 120v 20a twist lock cord. Can I not just use a 120v receptacle?

Hey Alicia and Welcome !!

Looks like there is a few ways to skin this cat. They make standard 120V plug converters to twist lock. So you plug the pump into the adapter and then plug that into the standard GFCI outlet, or regular outlet with a GFCI breaker. Like this.

Or you use a GFCI breaker on the circuit and use this outlet with the twist lock pump plug directly into it. Like this :
Verify your identity

There does not appear to be any 120V twist lock GFCI outlets available. Maybe the pump is primarily from another country where they use them ?

Hey Alicia and Welcome !!

Looks like there is a few ways to skin this cat. They make standard 120V plug converters to twist lock. So you plug the pump into the adapter and then plug that into the standard GFCI outlet, or regular outlet with a GFCI breaker. Like this.

Or you use a GFCI breaker on the circuit and use this outlet with the twist lock pump plug directly into it. Like this :
Verify your identity

There does not appear to be any 120V twist lock GFCI outlets available. Maybe the pump is primarily from another country where they use them ?

The pump is a Waterway Clear Water II Cartridge pump. I didn't realize it was going to be so hard to find a connection for it. :LOL:

The pump is a Waterway Clear Water II Cartridge pump. I didn't realize it was going to be so hard to find a connection for it. :LOL:
I don’t remember seeing this question before which makes me wonder if the pump that isn’t usually sold here got shipped from Europe (?) as a reinforcement for our equipment shortages.

Google did not have any 120V twist lock GFCI receptacles so the manufacturer must be assuming you use a straight 120V twist lock outlet and a GFCI breaker instead, or live somewhere they are available.

Google did not have any 120V twist lock GFCI receptacles so the manufacturer must be assuming you use a straight 120V twist lock outlet and a GFCI breaker instead, or live somewhere they are available.

A 120V TL dual receptacle GFCI outlet would not meet the reasons the NEC specifies a TL outlet be used.

A TL outlet is used on a dedicated pump circuit connected to a GFCI breaker. It is requried to be a single receptacle to ensure that no other devices are connected to the circuit to overload it. The TL ensures it is only used for the pump and cannot be accidentally pulled out.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.