AGP and pump: How far away can I move the pump?

Jun 13, 2007
Houston, TX
We're putting in an 18' round AGP (replacing larger oval AGP.) I'd really like to move the equipment away from pool side, if possible.

The new pool will have one skimmer, and one return. The AG pump is a Pentair Dynamo 3/4 HP 2-Speed Pump with a 26" Waterway sand filter. I have been reading about lift and head, etc but don't really understand exactly what I am looking for or how to figure it. The pump specs strongly suggest less than 5' of lift, and absolutely no more than 8'. Don't see anything about "head" in the Pentair specs.

Will it be possible to place this pump/filter at the same level as the pool, 20 or so feet from the pool wall? Really simple run - I figure a bit of a drop down and then a straight shoot from skimmer to pump. Couple of feet of flex pipe to the filter. Straight out through a SWCG (still under consideration) and then a bit of a rise to the return. So maybe two 45 degree turns, the rest straight. If I take the piping to the ground (because of the length of the run,) there would be two additional 45 degree turns, and maybe another 6-7" in both the drop on the input side, and the rise on the return side. Jandy valves below both the skimmer and the return, and unions before/after pump, filter and SWCG.

The original (now removed) AGP was piped in 1-1/2" pipe the whole way. If needed, I can pipe most of this in 2" PVC. Will that make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile?

Seems to me it should be OK, but I would love the input of folks that understand this stuff better than I do.

Lift is concerned with the pump being above the pool water level. There is very little head loss in horizontal runs of PVC, so you can put the pump a long ways from the pool. 1.5" pipe should be fine, although 2" would not hurt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.