Aging equipment. Need advice.

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My pool is 12 years old and the equipment is aging so I am thinking of a comprehensive overhaul of my gear. My main pump is dying so it's got me thinking about opening up the cheque book and modernizing my gear.

Here is what I have now and the condition.

Hayward H350 natural gas heater (electronic) - it's 12 years old and in need of replacement
Goldline Aquarite SW chlorine generator - barely functions. I am adding chlorine manually
V-Green 165 VS pump - making a lot of noise about 1600 rpm
Hayward Pro Series sand filter - okay
Goldline valve actuators - okay

The pump and SWG need to be replaced. When I went to the pool shop, the Hayward VS Omni pump caught my interest. I would love to be able to automate my gear so I can control heater and pump function remotely. As well, I would like to start my spa up remotely so it can be nice and hot when I get home.

The Hayward VS Omni system is $1500CAD. A new VS pump alone is $1000. If I buy the Omni, I get to control up to 4 different pieces of equipment. I will also need to replace my heater. Do I have to go with a Hayward model?

Does anyone have experience with this pump and its automation features? How do you communicate with it through a smartphone. Is it running a dedicated IP address?

I run the EasyTouch Screenlogic system. I really like it. I connect it directly from my pump pad control center to my wireless router (without the wireless interface). It's a DHCP system like all your other internet devices so it hooks up pretty easy but can get confused and the network needs the occasional "grand reboot."

I even run the ScreenLogic a level down from my first level router and I can still locate it from outside of my home network via my iPhone (Pentair says not to do that).

It can run a bunch of proprietary and non-proprietary equipment. I'm not sure if it can run your Hayward stuff without a few hacks.

The ScreenLogic setup sells for about US $350 on EBAY. You would need to switch over to an EasyTouch control center. But with numbers you throw out above for the Hayward system it does not seem too far of a reach.

This is an example here: It's only a 4 switch but you get the Screenlogic with it.

Pentair EasyTouch PL4 with Screenlogic bundle (base system, no ICP, no actuators 788379866525 | eBay

Here is an 8 switch with a SWCG:

Pentair Easy Touch Control Control System with IC20 Chlorine Generator 520592 788379704414 | eBay

Here are three iPhone screen shots:

Attachments

• IMG_5204.jpg
    IMG_5204.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5205.jpg
    IMG_5205.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5206.jpg
    IMG_5206.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 51
I was told that your pump, heater and SWG need to be the same brand for automation purposes. I dotn use an automation system, so I canto personally attest to this.

Not sure about other systems, but the Waterway automation system I have can control different brands of equipment. I have a Waterway OASIS controller OASIS Spa Control.

My pump is also Waterway, but according to the documentation it can control other brands of pumps. I'm also running Pentair lights and heat pump with it.

Not sure if I have ever run into anyone else on here running Waterway equipment. But my PB swears by it, and it's made in USA, just a few hours from me in Oxnard, CA. Seems to be working pretty good, I can control my system from anywhere with my phone.

Not sure about other systems, but the Waterway automation system I have can control different brands of equipment. I have a Waterway OASIS controller OASIS Spa Control.

My pump is also Waterway, but according to the documentation it can control other brands of pumps. I'm also running Pentair lights and heat pump with it.

Not sure if I have ever run into anyone else on here running Waterway equipment. But my PB swears by it, and it's made in USA, just a few hours from me in Oxnard, CA. Seems to be working pretty good, I can control my system from anywhere with my phone.

Waterway is about $1k with the wireless option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Sy...432769?hash=item33ec28dbc1:g:zU8AAOSwfztbYp2o

I would be interested in the compatibility with various VS pumps, and SWCG.

Waterway is about $1k with the wireless option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Sy...432769?hash=item33ec28dbc1:g:zU8AAOSwfztbYp2o

I would be interested in the compatibility with various VS pumps, and SWCG.

I don't know how well it works, but the documentation has instructions for connecting Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy variable speed pumps.

I will need to look into SWCG at some point. I'm thinking the relays can control it as they do my Pentair heat pump, but I really don't know for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.