Aggressive Frogs in AGP!

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
Hi, we have these two small toads who make TONS of noise every night. They did mate on our pool cover earlier and I had tadpoles to remove before we opened. For the past week since we finally opened, they are back louder than ever. Tonight we had a family late evening swim, and they both came out, sat on the coping across from each other, croaking up a storm, watching us use 'their pool'. I splashed them both away and they came back up, twice. Then one actually jumped in the pool with us and swam around. Everyone screamed and left. Now the kids are afraid of evening swims. Nothing has ever died in the skimmer. They live under the deck where the pool stuff is stored and come out raging at night. I THINK there are only two. But now we have proof they are aggressive!

Should I just collect and relocate them? They can climb up the walls, over the coping, under the railing, and around the top of the pool liner. And now proof that they actually swim in the pool. I thought the chlorine was a deterrent!

Anyone else have success in physically trapping/relocating?

Thanks,
Kristin

• Wow
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
I developed a frog problem this year. The first one was brought to a wet area 1.5 miles down the road. #2-7 went for a ride too, but right from the net and not in the car. They may have landed in the neighbors yard who hit my dog with her car. She may have a frog problem now too. I really can't say.

I learned this the hard way, don’t let dogs around toad frogs. They can release a toxic substance from their skin that will kill a dog. Our small dog got a small amount and was very sick but survived. I had never heard of that until it happened.
It’s their defense system.

Reactions: DanF
Cane toads (some call them bufo toads) are a fact of life here in FL. We’re constantly on the lookout for them, especially when rainy.

The frog in your pool looks like the tree frogs we see now and then... every now and again, we’ll see one doing the backstroke at night! The humane relocation is what I would do, if they keep coming back.

Reactions: Newdude
The humane relocation is what I would do, if they keep coming back
They were soft tosses/landings in bushy grass. I wouldn’t hurt Kermit. I’m moving in a few weeks so I didnt care about a long term solution

Cane toads (some call them bufo toads) are a fact of life here in FL

Some genius had the brilliant idea to introduce cane toads to Australia to fight a sugar cane loving beetle. Turned out that cane toads love it here, and they learnt quickly that there's lots of other stuff to eat here, not just beetles. They're a major plague now in the whole northern half of the country.

They haven't made it down to Melbourne yet. We only get some tiny frogs in the pool, but they seem to get in more accidentally when it's raining. Certainly can't get out on their own again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This thread is very informational and entertaining!!!! .... however I don't have frog problem.
I like the rodeo relocation suggestion best and I'm hoping, at least, you have zero mosquito/gnat problems unless they are on frog vacation at your "resort" :)

Reactions: markayash
They were soft tosses/landings in bushy grass. I wouldn’t hurt Kermit. I’m moving in a few weeks so I didnt care about a long term solution

Wasn’t directed at you! heck, probably just felt like an extra huge hop to the 🐸!

Wasn’t directed at you! heck, probably just felt like an extra huge hop to the 🐸!
The first couple of times it darn near gave me a heart attack late at night walking the dog in the general area. They’d make a splash as they hopped off the stairs (scared) there was a momentary whoosh in the air and then the big splash in the middle of the pool. When it’s late and pitch black / quiet out, It wasn’t expected to say the least.

• Haha
Reactions: kellyfair
The first couple of times it darn near gave me a heart attack late at night walking the dog in the general area. They’d make a splash as they hopped off the stairs (scared) there was a momentary whoosh in the air and then the big splash in the middle of the pool. When it’s late and pitch black / quiet out, It wasn’t expected to say the least.
My son was in there once and a small small crawled across his arm :)

I have never seen anything use mine but every since adding it I have only had one mouse in the skimmer. Use to get small snakes and frogs all the time
Oh my, your comment brought back memories from when I had IG, 20,000 gal vinyl pool with steps in back yard. Never recalled frog issues but in skimmer occasionally had voles, chipmunks, snakes, the very worst was huge gopher rat- I had to call on friend to remove because it was too gross for me to deal with. I occasionally scooped out a swimming young opossum.
Now , with tiny AGP maybe critters do take a swim but so far, no casualties. Also, this year there's been plentiful rain which I think provides their water, away from a pool.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.