Agae every 3 days

kathy58

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2019
southern maryland
Hi - We recently discovered your page, and are now trying to correct the errors of the past! We have an 18,000 gallon inground pool with vinyl liner. Using the Taylor K-2006 Kit (highly recommend!) our readings are:

cya - 90 (yikes, due to 4 years of using tablets - now using Chlorox)
fc - 12
cc - 0
Ph - 7.6
TA - 80
CH - 240
It has taken us a few weeks to get to this point, and our cloudy water is now crystal clear - HOWEVER, for the past 10 days I have had to vacuum every 3 days because algae grows on the bottoms and sides of the pool. We have a sand filter, and I backwash the green water out after every vacuum. I've tested the chlorine in the evening, and again in the morning before the sun comes on the pool, and have a loss of 1 ppm FC. Should we SLAM the pool? I know vaccuming is important daily during the SLAM, but was hoping it wouldn't be this frequent on a regular basis. Your advice is appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
With active algae in your pool, you need to follow the SLAM Process
First order of business is to lower your CYA to 50 ppm or less. You need to do a sizable water exchange to achieve that.

FYI -- Clorox bleach has additives that are not for use in a pool. So look for liquid chlorine at Walmart, pool stores, Home Depot, etc.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Vacuuming and filtering does not eliminate an algae problem. It takes a sustained dosing of chlorine as described in the SLAM Process.

What test kit do you use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.