Edmond OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My IC40 quit yesterday and while shopping for a replacement, I found these aftermarket cells that are supposed to be a direct drop-in replacement. They are $200 less, generate 50% more chlorine per day and have a built-in salinity display.

They have good reviews online, but I know those can be made up too. Does anyone here have any experience with one of these? I went ahead and ordered one and it is supposed to arrive Saturday. After I get it up and running I'll come back and post a review.

As long as you are good with this --
"Note: The generic IntelliChlor cell does not utilize a RS-485 or data connection for integration with automation systems like Pentair Intellitouch, Pentair Easy Touch®, Jandy® AquaLink®, Hayward® AquaLogic® and Hayward ProLogic®"

I paid $836 for a Pentair IC40 from Marina Pool Spa. Using the 10% for TFP Supporters.

Last edited:
"Note: The generic IntelliChlor cell does not utilize a RS-485 or data connection for integration with automation systems like Pentair Intellitouch, Pentair Easy Touch®, Jandy® AquaLink®, Hayward® AquaLogic® and Hayward ProLogic®"

I paid $836 for a Pentair IC40 from Marina Pool Spa. Using the 10% for TFP Supporters.
Is there a discount code for the 10% discount for TFP?

I installed the replacement last night and it was a straight drop in fit, except that the flow thru my plumbing is upside down. So I have to invert the SWG to have the controls right side up.

This means I also have to flip the flow sensor over. This was simple with the Intelliclor, just take it out, roll it 180 deg and put it back in. But this replacement has a groove and ridge that prevents you from doing that. I had to cut out a groove to flip it. Took all of 5 minutes.

As soon as I turned it on, it started working. My pool FC tested at 1 PPM and the water coming out of the return was 4 PPM. Incidentally, it also reported my salinity high at 4930. This because as the IC40 was failing, it was reporting low salt. So I added 80 lbs (I know, should have tested first!) But with it being springtime in OK, I'm sure rain washout will bring it down soon. If not, I'll get out the hose.

I'm happy so far. Now we'll see how long it lasts. Got 5 years out of the Intelliclor.

IMG_20220513_202219770.jpg

IMG_20220513_202234800.jpg
IMG_20220513_201440434.jpg

Also, I don't have the an automation system, and simply have the general IntelliChlor® Salt Cell Power Center. Do you think the generic one would suffice for me?

Thank you,

Mike

Yikes. My Aquapure docs say don't run over 3500ppm, and it turns itself off at 4000 to avoid damage to the power supply. Are you sure running it with that much salt won't break it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yikes. My Aquapure docs say don't run over 3500ppm, and it turns itself off at 4000 to avoid damage to the power supply. Are you sure running it with that much salt won't break it?
I believe the Intellichlor can go as high as 4500 ppm without excessive corrosion. I think mine has come down a bit, so is probably closer to the recommended 3400 ppm. ;-)

Question: Which cell would you recommend I get, the OEM brand, or the generic one. The generic one appears to be more powerful and has a better interface, but after the Marina Pool and Spa discount, is actually $50 more than the OEM. I'm kind of torn. Your thoughts?

I installed the replacement last night and it was a straight drop in fit, except that the flow thru my plumbing is upside down. So I have to invert the SWG to have the controls right side up.

This means I also have to flip the flow sensor over. This was simple with the Intelliclor, just take it out, roll it 180 deg and put it back in. But this replacement has a groove and ridge that prevents you from doing that. I had to cut out a groove to flip it. Took all of 5 minutes.

As soon as I turned it on, it started working. My pool FC tested at 1 PPM and the water coming out of the return was 4 PPM. Incidentally, it also reported my salinity high at 4930. This because as the IC40 was failing, it was reporting low salt. So I added 80 lbs (I know, should have tested first!) But with it being springtime in OK, I'm sure rain washout will bring it down soon. If not, I'll get out the hose.

I'm happy so far. Now we'll see how long it lasts. Got 5 years out of the Intelliclor.

View attachment 410628

View attachment 410629
View attachment 410630
Jeff, I decided to purchase the CFICGEN40 generic SCG. My old pentair was horizontally mounted. The generic one is calling for vertical mounting. I would rather not have to replumb, if possible. Do you think it would be ok to mount the generic one horizontally?

Mike

I can't see any reason why it would matter. It doesn't do anything without flow through it, and once the flow starts I can't imagine that there's any difference between a horizontal or vertical orientation. The flow is strong enough that gravity shouldn't have any effect.

I can't see any reason why it would matter. It doesn't do anything without flow through it, and once the flow starts I can't imagine that there's any difference between a horizontal or vertical orientation. The flow is strong enough that gravity shouldn't have any effect.
I called the company and they said it didn't matter how it was mounted. I plan on mounting it in the horizontal position so that I don't have to replumb anything.

Reactions: jeffchap
I'm trying to figure out how long to run my pump/SWG. Do you know where I can find guidance on this?

It makes 2.1 lbs of chlorine per day at 100%. So if you know how much your pool consumes per day, I suppose you could do the math.

But I've always just used trial and error to figure out how long to run. I usually run mine at 100% and adjust my pump run time as needed to keep my FC around 7 ppm.

After reading rec above on getting IC40 cell at Marina Pool Spa (MPS), I called today to confirm they actually had one, and to verify the Pentair 2 year warranty would apply if purchased from them - they said yes (tried calling Pentair 4x this week to verify, they never pick up phone). I then asked about TFP discount (referenced above), they chuckled and said it doesn't apply to certain/a lot of items, including IC40. When I said I read on TFP today that someone used the discount about 2 weeks ago on an IC40, they said, sorry it doesn't apply, we have one left, do you want it! I did order it (still good price, no tax & free shipping), but was disappointed/confused about no TFP discount. Anyone aware of these limitations? Is there a list of specific items that get the discount?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.