After starting pool for summer can't get FC up, Cloudy, Algae, pool eats Dichlor

I finished refilling another 12,000 gallons a couple of hours ago and re-tested. The water looks much better now, can easily see the bottom of the deep end though there is a green tint of algae.

I am not absolutely sure about the CYA test because the sun was going down so it was not as bright in my shadow, but I got about half way between 70 and 80. I did it again and it looked like it could have been 60 when I let some more light in.

I think I am ready to start the SLAM, but I still have to raise the PH from 6.8 to 7.2. How long do you think it would take after adding borax to get a good PH test? I would like to get the borax in tonight, and hopefully the Bleach. The Pool Calc says 7 bottles of bleach to get to FC of 20 and 3 boxes of Borax for the PH. Should I go higher with the bleach because I am not sure about the CYA?

In reading about the SLAM and other posts I realize that it is a process that could take some time, but I am going to have to do what I can by Thursday late morning - going on vacation. I also understand that there are no shortcuts, but I need a shortcut! Also, once I get the FC up to the proper level and hopefully kill all of the algae, will I be able to use Tri Chlor tablets, at least while I am away for a week? I know they will add back CYA, but how much? Last year I was adding about 6 3" tablets a week.

I only did a couple of tests as all the chlorine is 0 since I added so much water.

Chl 0
PH 6.8
TA 70
CYA 60-75?

I hope it's not too many questions!

Thanks,
Rich

You can add the borax right away if you haven't done so already. :) Add what the calculator told to add to increase to 7.2 and don't look back. Start getting bleach in there ASAP. I would split the difference for tonight at "28" using 70 as your CYA. Check again in good sunlight tomorrow though. :) Adjust FC as needed if you find the CYA to be different. Have a nice evening.

I added the borax and 10+ gallons of bleach last night, but couldn't test until this morning, and it only was at FC of 1.5. The water looks good, no more green tint, but I don't see how I can get to a FC of 28. I had 5 more bottles of bleach and added them this morning, and an hour later FC is 1.5-2. I re-tested the CYA and it looks like it is 70. I am getting ready to go out and get some more bleach!

I have a couple of questions about running the tests:

The FC Chlorine test: After adding 3 drops the water looks clear, I swirl it and it is still clear. After I put it down, read the next instructions and got ready to add the next drops it turned pink a little. I added one more drop and it was clear again. So, should I wait to make sure that it does not turn pink, if so then the FC was 2 otherwise 1.5.

The CYA test: Is it OK/Good to swirl the tube when the dot is almost gone? Sometimes there were bubbles and I also was not sure if I could see it or not, and swirling helped.

Current test results:
FC 1.5-2
CC 3.5
PH 7.2
CYA 70

Thanks,
Rich

I tested about 1/2 hour after adding 10 121oz bottles of bleach and got FC of 9.5, CC 1. Since it didn't get up to the goal of 28 I added 4 more bottles, which is all I had left. I didn't get to test again for about 1 1/2 hours, and now it is FC 7.5, CC .5. It is a pretty hot, 85 degree sunny day here in NJ, which I guess isn't helping.

The pool looks OK but I am not getting to the FC goal level. The problem is that I don't think I will be able to get more bleach tonight, and I will be going away for a week starting tomorrow and was hoping to be able to leave 5-6 Trichlor tablets in the skimmer for the week. I don't want to lose what I have already done but I may only be able to have someone add tablets or bleach once during the week.

What do you guys think would be the best thing to do with this limited time.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich, not much you can do. Others have been in the same boat. If the SLAM stalls, it stalls. Life goes on. The pool will be there when you get back..... and so will we. :) No worries. Save your time & money to stock-up on bleach upon your return.

If I could keep going with it now would I have needed to keep adding more bleach to try and get to FC 28? It seems like I would have needed a lot more if the max I got to was 9.5. How much will using some Trichlor for the week increase my CYA? I also am not sure of the plan once the water is good - is it OK to use Trichlor or should I return the 50 lb bucket of tablets that I just got?

Thanks,
Rich

The tabs will stay good for a very long time as long as they are sealed in the container. They will not help in accomplishing the SLAM however. For the SLAM FC, it is imperative to meet the SLAM/Shock level based on your CYA, so if your SLAM FC is 28, that's when you will see the true benefits. In your case, it sounds as if a combination of sun and algae is eliminating your FC exceptionally fast. It's times like this where a few gallons of bleach, a cold drink, and a stopwatch come-in handy to keep the FC maintained until it holds.

:cheers:

We came back from our trip last Sunday and the pool did OK. I had our neighbor add a couple of Trichlor tabs in the middle of last week and the pool was pretty clear but still a little algae hiding in corners, on steps, etc. We wanted to use the pool last week so I didn't Slam, and needed to add a bottle of bleach every day or so. This Sunday I decided to start the Slam and emptied about 1/4 of the pool to get the CYA down, and I think it is about 50-55 (just for fun I tried the test strip and it showed it is in the 30-50 range). These are the levels Sunday night.

FC .5
CC .5
PH 7.2
CYA 50-55

Then at 11pm I added a few boxes of Borax and a bottle of Bleach 8.25%

Mon Morning PH was 7.5, FC 2, CC .5 and I started the Slam with target FC of 20-22. By late afternoon I got the FC up to 20-22 and needed to add a bottle of bleach every hour or so to keep it there. I brushed the whole pool late early evening, and at 11pm the filter needed a DE change. I wanted to make sure any algae was out of the filter, so I backwashed and refilled the DE and added bleach through the skimmer to kill anything in there. By 12:30 am I had FC 21 CC 1.5. I added a bottle of bleach at 1 am, which was a little too much and got it to FC 28.5, CC .5.

Now, I am thinking/hoping I am have completed the Slam! The level did go down overnight, but I didn't get to check it until 9:30 am after several hours of sun (it is pretty hot today 80 now) I have FC 17.5, CC 0 and the pool looks nice and clear.

What do you think, am I done???

Thanks,
Rich

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rich, the progress is excellent, but just to be clear & safe, to pass the SLAM you need 3 things:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <0.5

If you cut it short, you run the risk of algae coming back. The last past (patience) is the most difficult. :)

I posted the 12pm update at the same time as you were responding Texas Splash!

OK, thanks.

Also, we want to use the pool tomorrow for small pool party for my son, so if the FC is 10 in the morning (after a successful no FC loss night) will that be OK?
If it does lose FC overnight will it be OK to use the pool then continue?
I also plan to vacuum the pool today as we have constant sand coming off the deteriorating plaster and the algae hides in it - so that should help too.

The sun is behind the trees and I just did another test - FC 10, CC .5 (was a little more pink than earlier). The filter is still running well (only went up 1 lb pressure) and doesn't need to be backwashed, so it didn't get too much dead algae out today. The water looks nice and clear - see attached photo, you can see the drain in the deep end and the concrete where the plaster is worn.

I am going to vacuum now and will do another test later on. Should I do the OCLT at the FC level I am at, or do I need to increase it at all?

Also, what level of FC is OK to swim - in the past it has never been above 3?

Thanks for your help again!

Rich

Pool After Slam small.jpg

You can safely swim as long as the FC is below your assigned SLAM level. I believe your SLAM level was 12 correct? So as long as you don't go over 12, you can swim. :swim: For this evening, I would continue to maintain the SLAM FC level (12) and before bed take one last FC reading to ensure you're right around that mark. Compare it to the morning test and see how you do. Good luck!

Actually my CYA was 50-55 so the Slam was 20-22. This was from above this morning:

Mon Morning PH was 7.5, FC 2, CC .5 and I started the Slam with target FC of 20-22. By late afternoon I got the FC up to 20-22 and needed to add a bottle of bleach every hour or so to keep it there. I brushed the whole pool late early evening, and at 11pm the filter needed a DE change. I wanted to make sure any algae was out of the filter, so I backwashed and refilled the DE and added bleach through the skimmer to kill anything in there. By 12:30 am I had FC 21 CC 1.5. I added a bottle of bleach at 1 am, which was a little too much and got it to FC 28.5, CC .5.

Now, I am thinking/hoping I am have completed the Slam! The level did go down overnight, but I didn't get to check it until 9:30 am after several hours of sun (it is pretty hot today 80 now) I have FC 17.5, CC 0 and the pool looks nice and clear.

I hope I don't need to get back to Slam level for tonight, only 1 bottle of bleach left and I don't want the chlorine too high for tomorrow afternoon. Bruce above said to do it overnight at FC of 10. What do you think?

Thanks,
Rich

Well Rich, you're not going to like this answer ... but .....You should maintain that SLAM FC level. Just until you positively pass all 3 criteria. Since your water appears to be clear and your CCs are 0, then you only need to pass the OCLT. But as insurance, I would continue to maintain that FC of "24" based on a rounded-up CYA of 60. Or if you are leaning more on the 50-ish side for the CYA, your SLAM level would be 20. This way if you do fail, you're water is already at maximum sanitation, and you can still swim. Based on your CYA, you can easily swim at an FC up to 20, so no worries there. Oh, and in the future, you don't want to pour bleach directly into the skimmer. A bit too strong for that area. Always best to slowly pour near a return jet(s). Good luck on the OCLT!

Rich,

Just read your thread. I see from your signature you have a Polaris. Do yourself a favor - are the bag seams anything but pure white? If they're the least bit off-color, pull the bag, rinse it, and soak it in a high concentration chlorine solution for several hours, if not overnight. I did about 50/50 with 8% store chlorine. And left it for about 24 hours. (Newer bag - if yours is old - get rid of it and get a new one!)

I had been dealing with algae all summer - water was clear, but chlorine would lose about 2ppm overnight, up to 4 in 24 hours. Plus, walls would get "streaky" (my pool is white) after just a couple days. We all dislike that brushing!

So, after I soaked the bag, I did another slam. Now, I need about a quart of chlorine a day, as my CYA is about 40 and, even though in Florida, worries me putting CYA in pool and having high CYA levels to deal with. Pool's been un-brushed about 6 days - hit it today and - nothing! Chlorine hits 5 and I dump in a quart.

Moral of the story - I watched that Polaris running around the pool all summer - with algae in seams!!!! Kept re-seeding. Killed it dead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.