After Slamming

Getting AGP ready after winter in Texas. Don't cover it but run pump 1/2 day until temp gets warmer. Slammed pool yesterday due to seeing some algae. Also replaced 1/3 of water due to high CYA. Added Muriatic Acid to lower PH from 8.0+.

Today's readings:
PH is 7.0
TA is 70
FC is 14

Just stopped using trichlor over winter and now using liquid bleach.

Poolmath shows to raise PH adding borax and raise TA using baking soda. Should I wait until FC lowers a bit after slamming. Don't see algae today.

Thanks

Welcome! :wave: I wouldn't add anyting else right now until your FC falls a bit. But the more important questions is ..... have you passed all 3 SLAM criteria? You should also post your CYA so we can see what FC (SLAM) level you were maintaining. You'll definately want to pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before going back to business as usual.

The pH test is unreliable with FC above 10, so don't make any adjustments just yet. And if the water is too cold to get in, you needn't worry about swimmers' eyes. The vinyl pool won't etch like plaster, either. 70 TA is fine.

Second, without knowing the CYA level, nobody can say whether the FC level is adequate or not

Third, a big dose of bleach is not a SLAM. It's just a big dose of bleach. A SLAM Processis a process that takes a few days and ends when three different criteria are met.

Welcome! :wave: I wouldn't add anyting else right now until your FC falls a bit. But the more important questions is ..... have you passed all 3 SLAM criteria? You should also post your CYA so we can see what FC (SLAM) level you were maintaining. You'll definately want to pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before going back to business as usual.
I'm trying to follow the Slam steps in Poolschool. Based on CYA of 100, I added bleach accordingly. I had already added MA to lower PH before adding bleach yesterday.

I want to make sure I'm following Slam process correctly. FC was 14 after adding bleach yesterday according to slam chart and is 14 again today. CYA is 70ish but I think that's due to stopping the trichlor use???

I'm a little confused myself about the CYA. You mentioned 70 a couple times, but then you said above "based on CYA of 100"? So that threw me off. But keep this in mind. Whenever we need to SLAM Process, we do 3 things:
1 - Lower pH to about 7.2 - check.
2 - Test CYA. The closer to 30 the better since it requires less bleach. But if your CYA is 70, you can still SLAM. So go to the nest step.
3 - Go to the FC/CYA Levels and match-up your current CYA with the SLAM/Shock FC level. You can see that for a CYA of 70, your FC should be "28". Anything less and you're not really doing the SLMA properly and effectively killing algae. Form that chart, you can see if your CYA is higher, then the FC would need to be higher as well.

Does that help?

And just to make sure .... the bleach you use should be regular. Nothing splashless or scented. Stay away from Clorox as they have added polymers/fabric softener product. I used to use HEB's Bravo (Regular). You still can, but they lowered the % strength from 8.25% to 6%. You can also check out places like Home Depot since their pool section has the 10% strength at a comparable price.

I don't see it in your sig, but to test FC over 10 I'm assuming you have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit correct? I would add that to your sig as well when you get a chance. Let us know if you have more questions.

And just to make sure .... the bleach you use should be regular. Nothing splashless or scented. Stay away from Clorox as they have added polymers/fabric softener product. I used to use HEB's Bravo (Regular). You still can, but they lowered the % strength from 8.25% to 6%. You can also check out places like Home Depot since their pool section has the 10% strength at a comparable price.

I don't see it in your sig, but to test FC over 10 I'm assuming you have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit correct? I would add that to your sig as well when you get a chance. Let us know if you have more questions.
Yes, using Taylor test kit but don't see exact number on the kit any longer. Bought new last year. I purchase HEBs bleach and HDX bleach from HomeDepot. I hate to drain pool again but if I need to get cya down, I guess it's not an option,

If you are okay with maintaining the FC SLAM level of 70, there's no need to drain. Water will be warming up soon if we have more days like today. I keep my summer CYA between 50-60 anyways, so you're not too far off from good summer levels. Just make sure to keep the FC at that 28 until you pass all 3 items. You might want to review the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to be sure as well. Good luck! :swim:

Reactions: Sugarfoot
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.