Aeration to raise pH, can it be done without aeration fittings?

Jsch96

Jul 6, 2015
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all, quick question. My pH is low (6.8-7.0) and I want to raise it without raising my TA, so I have pointed my return eyeball up and am aerating in the only way I can. Is this effective? And how long can I expect this to take before I raise my pH level? I’m in southern WI so I don’t normally run my pump more than a couple hours a day, especially when the temps are still cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg
    831.6 KB · Views: 18
Your pH will rise with that TA. The longer you run the pump, the quicker it will rise. A pH of 7 is not a reason to panic. If your FC is holding OK, delay putting in any CYA until the pH rises some.

Your pH will rise with that TA. The longer you run the pump, the quicker it will rise. A pH of 7 is not a reason to panic. If your FC is holding OK, delay putting in any CYA until the pH rises some.
Thank you! I’ve been fighting the higher TA lower pH for two seasons now, and I’d like to try and stay on top of it this year. This definitely helps boost my confidence. I am curious though, are we talking days? Weeks?

At the end of the day I’ll take your advice and run the pump longer during the day. I’ll hold off on adding CYA until the pH stabilizes.

Also one last question, how much higher can the TA get before it becomes a problem, and what are the problems it could cause?

High TA and low pH is an odd combination. Unless you are using pucks that have baking soda in them -- or are adding baking soda.
TA accentuates the scaling tendency of your water. Without a SWCG and low CH, TA has little effect.

Without any chemical addition interference, the pH should rise in days.

High TA and low pH is an odd combination. Unless you are using pucks that have baking soda in them -- or are adding baking soda.
TA accentuates the scaling tendency of your water. Without a SWCG and low CH, TA has little effect.

Without any chemical addition interference, the pH should rise in days.
I’ve never had to add baking soda as our water from the tap is highly alkaline and mild on the pH side. Fun fact, we pump our water straight from the lake like other Milwaukee metro communities but Oak Creek won the statewide city water tasting, so maybe they do this intentionally lol.

I’ve never had to add baking soda as our water from the tap is highly alkaline and mild on the pH side. Fun fact, we pump our water straight from the lake like other Milwaukee metro communities but Oak Creek won the statewide city water tasting, so maybe they do this intentionally lol.
Are you sure your pH is that low? That’s odd. Maybe post a picture of the color and get a second opinion.

To answer your question on aerating without the fittings, I've been able to do it. I have two deck jets that I turn on and run full power to create as many bubbles as possible. I also have a pump cover for my auto cover. I'll put that in this area I call the "beach" where it's padded and I secure the discharge hose pointing up in the air. These three streams of water raised my PH .2 in a little over an hour or running. I'm sure the nozzles might work better, but this seemed to work for me.

Are you sure your pH is that low? That’s odd. Maybe post a picture of the color and get a second opinion.
Well, after double checking and paying more attention it would appear my Phenol Red has expired or was exposed to the sun. It was coming out orange.

I bought a new 6-way test kit and double checked my numbers. pH is 7.5 on the nose. Everything else was the same.

Reactions: Bperry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.