Advise on pump replacment.

me2Deep

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
sacramento, ca
I currently have a 3/4 HP Whisperflo pump powering the sand filter and a 1HP booster pump powering my sweeper. Last year I had solar installed on my tri-level home and went against the installers recommendation on upgrading my pump to the same pump I have chance to buy now for more than half the price, Pentair (011018). With my current main pump its obvious that its under-powered running the solar. The vacuum relief valve would open letting air in the system for the reason of the water falling down the pipes faster the pump could push water up the pipes. That problem was band-aid fixed by closing the manual return valve about 35% to slow the watering returning to the pool. The main problem I have now that the solar company says there's nothing they can do and I need a new/better pump is the sweeper and the solar will not run together. I've been told different things by different people. Version 1 is regardless of the lack of power your main pump might have, the booster pump should run the sweeper the same way weather the solar is running or not. Or version 2 is your main pump isn't powerful enough to supply the booster and the solar with enough water. I would like some more thoughts on that matter.
Also, if I bought the pump, can I replace it without omitting the booster pump? Would my only loss be the energy savings benefit of the Pentair 011018?
The total quote from the solar company was $2050. That's for the Pentair 011018 VS pump and the labor for installing the pump and replumbing the equipment pad to omit the booster pump, then program the pump with the suntouch control they used for my solar.

Thanks for any help.

Leave the booster to run the cleaner or better yet get a robot and ditch the booster pump altogether.

Going to the inteliflo pump is a good choice for your main pump but 2050for the pump and install is really high. That pump currently sells for 800 on Amazon and chances are you can get a rebate from your power company for buying that pump. You already have a wisperflo pump so the inteliflo should pretty much be a drop in replacement with no need to modify plumbing. If you don't want to do the work definitely have that job requoted for a better price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.