Advice to remove this winterizing plug which is now stuck in plumbing?

Mar 1, 2018
Glenelg,MD
stopper_small.jpg

We found this little guy on the suction side of one of our pumps (about 3" short of the pump filter basket). We're new pool owners, so it was probably our fault for starting up the pump without ensuring 100% that every plug was removed.

There is about 6" of straight PVC right behind it, so I can cut the PVC, remove the plug, and install a coupling without too much hassle. However, I'm wondering if there is any other advice before I start sawing?

I've tried a coat hanger, and while I got a good grip on it, I couldn't get it to budge. Can I repeatedly stab the rubber with something to try to weaken it?

Any other thoughts? (It's so close to the pump, I don't want to try to push it back toward the pool.)

Thanks
Matt

Bummer.

The safest is to do as you say. Cut it out and replace the PVC.

The other thought (beware of my thoughts) is to drill holes through the rubber to weaken it and allow it to compress. But the wild card is that the thumb screw looks to be causing a good portion of the jam.

Others may have some ideas, most likely better than mine.

Good luck.

Reactions: Pjpalazzo
You could spray a little bit of WD40 around the sides to try and make it slippery. You can try to cut the screw and washer sideways, but this may not work as you are hooked up to the pump. Also, you can dry drilling holes around the screw big enough to grab 2 sets of pliers and pull at the same time. You can continue to drill holes around the rubber (careful not to damage the pipe) and weaken the material so it will compress as Mary mentioned. Another option is to remove the pump motor away from the housing basket so you can work from the back.

I guess you really can not see this unless you had taken the picture with your phone (probably). If you can then get a little saw around the middle, you can cut the screw straight down the middle. Good luck and keep us posted.

Here's what I would try. You need one 1/4" Toggle Bolt something like this (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-12-Pack-3-in-x-1-4-in-Toggle-Bolt-Drywall-Anchor/3385514)(length not important) and one 1/4" Eye Bolt something like this (Shop 1/4 eye bolt)(Long at Lowes.com: Search Results enough to go through the plug about 2"). "EVER SO CAREFULLY" drill a hole through the rubber plug as close to center as possible (I think the hole size for that Toggle Bolt is 7/16" ... double check!!!). Screw the toggle onto the Eye Bolt (NOT the screw that came with the Toggle Bolt) several threads. Fold the toggle and insert it through the hole you drilled all the way till the toggle springs open on the other side of the hole. You should now be able to hook something hefty onto the Eye Bolt and work the plug out. (I have NOT tried this for pool plumbing, but once used this trick to remove a solid plastic toy wedged in a backyard drainage pipe, and it worked). I hope this might give you a "possible" option. Good Luck!!!

P.S. The drainage pipe WAS 4" however :(

Have you tryed a knife to cut the rubber down especially the center where the bolt is. Then grab the bolt with a pair of plyers and pull the bolt free. They you should be able to wiggle the rest out.

I would try using nylon cable ties, perhaps heavy duty ones. Put two together, cut off the excess at the join, fish it down by the bolt past the join so it naturally wants to turn around the bolt, use a coathanger hook to fish the end of the tie out the other side of the bolt. Add more ties if needed and pull. Could also try the same if you can fish another behind the rubber and up through the bolt side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.