Jul 29, 2018
Corbin
I have a 40x20 pool and I think I have a leak in a water pipe.
During the winter when the filter is winterized, I have to drain out excess water from the pool, so I don't think there is a leak in the liner.
I also used the food coloring test and couldn't find any leaks in the liner.
My installer put a drain pipe that drains any excess water that may settle outside the pool liner.

I have a wall skimmer and 2 drains in the bottom of the pool.
When the top skimmer is turned off and only the bottom drains are sucking to the filter, I loose about 1/4 inch water overnight-- which I keep pool at 85 and still gets cool at night and in the mornings, I see the steam coming off the pool, so I know I'm loosing to evaportation. There is no water draining from the drain pipe mentioned above.

However, when I turn the wall skimmer on, I loose water around 1 inch or more per day and there is a water stream that comes out of the drain pipe mentioned above. So, my common sense would be there is a leak in the underground pipes flowing from the wall skimmer to the filter.

Does that sound right? Or if there is a leak on the floor drains, when I switch to 100% floor drain suction, would that mask a leak on the bottom drains if the pipe were leaking down there?

Any advice would be appreciated in what you think and/or any other tests I may try?
Thank you.

How many skimmers do you have?

Post pics of your equipment pad.

Sounds logical if you lose water when using the skimmers and get water from your well pit sounds like you have an underground leak.

Maybe you can try a pressure test on the skimmer pipe depending on how it is routed.

Maybe a plumber can snake a camera down the pipe and see a crack.

Maybe a leak detection company can pinpoint the leak.

Otherwise you need to start digging to examine the pipe.

Is the pipe run under decking or soil?

How many skimmers do you have?

Post pics of your equipment pad.

Sounds logical if you lose water when using the skimmers and get water from your well pit sounds like you have an underground leak.

Maybe you can try a pressure test on the skimmer pipe depending on how it is routed.

Maybe a plumber can snake a camera down the pipe and see a crack.

Maybe a leak detection company can pinpoint the leak.

Otherwise you need to start digging to examine the pipe.

Is the pipe run under decking or soil?
Just one skimmer. Pipe runs about 4 feet in concrete then just soil.
No leaks around the equipment pad.

I think I could do a pressure test based on how the pipe is routed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.