Advice on testing device

I'm suspicious of that device and the geeky side of me wants to dissect one to see what it really is.

There definitely are devices that function such as this (WaterLens comes to mind), but it is significantly higher than $50 and the reagent trays add much to that cost. I suspect that AccuBlue badly analyzes for a few parameters and applies some voodoo "K" factors to extrapolate the rest. I've been an analytical chemist for 25 years and whenever a vendor tells you everything their new invention does, you can rest assured that 50+% of what they're saying is a lie, or at least a gross misrepresentation! :laughblue:

I'm suspicious of that device and the geeky side of me wants to dissect one to see what it really is.

There definitely are devices that function such as this (WaterLens comes to mind), but it is significantly higher than $50 and the reagent trays add much to that cost. I suspect that AccuBlue badly analyzes for a few parameters and applies some voodoo "K" factors to extrapolate the rest. I've been an analytical chemist for 25 years and whenever a vendor tells you everything their new invention does, you can rest assured that 50+% of what they're saying is a lie, or at least a gross misrepresentation! :laughblue:
Interestingly, one of our field account managers was in H-Town today and took me to lunch. He has a pool and thinks AccuBlue is all that and a bag of chips and he wanted to know my thoughts. I basically repeated the above, but he felt it was dead on for his pool water. In repayment for lunch, I now have to take a specimen of my pool water to Leslie's and see what I think. I told him I needed a bottle of bourbon for that task, and we stopped at Spec's on the way back to my office so I guess I'm committed now.

I really need to learn to shut my mouth sometimes. :censored:

• Haha
Reactions: Snoobug and Newdude
Yeah, I get that, and I do have plans to purchase the TF 100 with the speed stir and pH meter, I just don't see the need right now with my CYA so high that I know I have to drain in the fall. I'm spend more than $50/month on chemicals so the cost of the tester from Leslie's isn't really a factor, more the uniqueness of having a pool store level at home for my own private use...
that's what they're banking on... (literally)

Are you kidding, I would go to Leslies and let them test my water for a bottle of bourbon.
Well, that guy owes me for a LOT of favors, to be honest- I should have held out for a bottle of Louis XIII. But my desk drawer has a bottle of Rowan's Creek that I must remember to take with me when I depart for the day.

I REALLY don't want to go to Leslie's, though. The one nearest to me is managed by one of the most unpleasant people I've ever encountered in retail. I think I'll drive some more and go to a different one and spin the story that I just need testing right now because I have all of their magikal potions and elixirs.

The one nearest to me is managed by one of the most unpleasant people I've ever encountered in retail.
Sounds like a great opportunity to bring in a sample of your pool water but with an extra couple grains of CYA or dichlor added to the bottle. See if it shows a crazy CYA level and see if they care at all. Or if you really want to get malicious just add a dash of salt and see what they come up with. Will they tell you your TDS is out of control so you need to drain? Will they claim your salt cell is failing? Or will they just think everything is fine? Sounds like a great opportunity to get some interesting info.

Just make sure you tell us the story before you break open the Rowan's. I get the feeling things might be embellished just a bit shortly after the bottle is opened.

Here is one

@TriangleMan help us our here. Can you add your recent, real world experience ? Stones is falling for the classic blunder (no, no, not the one about Sicilians when death is on the line, the other one. At Leslies)
I thought it was never start a land war in Asia.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.