Advice on SWG troubleshooting next steps

J3G

Mar 8, 2015
Orlando, FL
Installed a new Pureline t-15 cell on a Aquarite 900 system about 2 months ago. Everything was great until about 2 weeks ago. I had been running the cell at ~30% and maintaining a steady 3.5-4.0 Cl level (its oversized for the pool).

Suddenly the Cl cratered. No error lights. Good salt and CYA, pH levels. Thought it might have been caused by recent storms. So I chemically shocked and also turned the cell up to 75%. Stabilized Cl for a few days and then the same thing occurs. I've pulled the cell and its definitely generating Cl (lots of bubbles). Aquarite diag looks good too (3300 salt, 85F, 26.2v, 7.37a). salt levels verified with test kit (3000).

The only thing I can think is that it is shutting down at some point during day. But I have yet to catch it -- or at least the volts/amps look like its generating. Was thinking of trying an amp meter around the cell cable, but I'd need to find one that logs unattended over several hours, and not sure whether this would actually work. Also noticed the Pureline cell has a plastic panel where the cord attaches that seems to be a sloppy fit. Thought about popping that open to see if there is a loose connection underneath, but not sure that I can without marring the plastic and potentially voiding a warranty that I may need to use.

At a loss on how to troubleshoot further. Any ideas?

maintaining a steady 3.5-4.0 Cl level
You've been running a pretty low level of chlorine and for awhile. Back in May, you indicated you had a dusting of algae but it swept away. TFP always recommends a SLAM when you see algae. Did you get one of the recommended test kits?

Yes I ended up swapping my cell out once i realized it wasn't able to keep up after wrestling with levels May/June with SWG set to 100%. Ran most of July/Aug with the new cell at 30% with all looking great. Yes, I bought a test kit from this site.

- I'm slam/shocking with 3lbs of dichlor. And so.....I just realized i was reading the calc app wrong. And I should be using more like 7lbs. Looks like I need to redo this and will also do an overnight loss test to confirm its truly cleared.

- Definitely going to try to run Cl levels higher going forward. Seemed stable during good weather. But I think a week of bad weather started a downward spiral.

Thanks for the input!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.