Advice on step repair

dfedele

Mar 29, 2020
Gainesville, FL
Hi everyone - I'm looking for some help on repairing some stairs in my vinyl lined pool. We are about to get the liner replaced and want to tackle the steps at the same time. I believe these are gel coat steps and, as you can see below, they've been repaired in the past before we purchased the home. There are several small holes on the top step and two vertical cracks on the bottom step. Do you all have recommendations on how to repair these steps (assuming they are able to be repaired)? I haven't had much luck finding someone who replaces vinyl liners that is also willing to tackle this project. I am also looking into Ecofinish and plan to call a regional dealer tomorrow. Thanks for any help!

Pool 2.jpgPool 1.jpgpool 3.jpg

You can also look for companies that do fiberglass tub and surround repairs. We had a repair done a few years ago on about a quarter-sized hole in a molded shower enclosure. I was very happy with the result, like the hole was never there. The repairman said he's done several repairs on pools and steps. Might be worth a couple calls.

Reactions: kimkats
Thank you! These are great ideas. I've tried calling a couple boat repair places but can't get anyone interested. I'll try the fiberglass tub shops. I have heard getting new steps is around $4,000 due to needing to excavate, etc. Does that seems correct?

replacing stairs is VERY costly. its busting up the concrete collar underneath, excavation, and the decking which often is concrete and you cant match it. Usually ranges from 6-8k for a standard white step and concrete, can go over 10k on colored and high end deck/coping. Ecofinish is really the best way to finish them, and it lets you match the color. They need to be prepped and fiberglassed beforehand if theres damage, and if there are any voids they should be drilled and filled then patched before the prep. Make sure if you go the ecofinish route that you have the moulding and plates done too, unless you are sticking with white. the stock white strips look cheesy on colored stairs

Thanks for the feedback on the Ecofinish process. Good to know the fiberglass needs to be repaired either way. Would those small holes that you see in the pics needs to be patched before Ecofinish? I've got a shower/tub surround company coming by tomorrow to take a look. Hoping they might be interested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.