Advice on Repair or just replace Polaris 9550 Robot

Nov 7, 2016
Roseville/CA
Wanted to see if anyone had advice on whether to repair or just replace my Polaris 9550 Sport. It is almost 5-years old, and looks to have a bad cord. From what I see, you can replace yourself for about $200-300. The pool store place I use said it will cost almost $400 from him to replace. The hesitation I have is that it seems like these units have numerous things that could go wrong, and all tend to be around the 3-5 year mark. The pool store guy even said he was surprised it wasn't the motor that went out as they usually go by this time. I do take good care of it, but the Dang cable is so hard to keep from being tangled. Probably was a little too rough in handling. Is it worth putting the money into this thing, knowing that the next thing that could go wrong will cost nearly $700? Does anyone have one of these that has lasted longer than 5 years? Anything to give me some confidence that I could at least get another year or two. Money wise it doesn't matter, I am happy to cut my loses and move on. While at it, is there a better robot you woudl recommend? Thanks in advance.

The oldest reviews I see on Amazon for the 9550 are from 2016. So I don't think it has been out more then 5 years. You have some of the oldest experience I think.

My personal rule is if a repair costs more then 50% of replacement cost I buy a new one. At $200 to replace the cord I might take that bet and give it a try.

Otherwise consider a Dolphin cleaner from Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa in Colorado.

Last edited:
The cable does not really fail all that often. Make sure your pool guy is certain (there are tests he can do) to insure your cable is the issue. In my experience, most times it's the motor block that gets flooded shorting out the microcomputer module inside the block.

You can probably find a used cable for under $100. Pretty easy job to put it in.

If that one has a control panel where the cord connects like my 9560, that is where your problem lies. If so, you can unscrew the connector that goes into the panel and clean, adjust the electrical leads. I have to do this about every few months now it is a poor design. Initially it went 2 years with no problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.