Advice on reducing TA and CYA levels

With your CYA at around 50 ppm, an FC of 20 ppm would have around the same active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level as 0.6 ppm FC with no CYA so is lower than most indoor pools that don't have CYA. You wouldn't want to drink the pool water in large quantities (that's why the EPA drinking water limit is 4 ppm FC, assuming 2 quarts drank per day), but it's not unsafe to swim in. Nevertheless, compared to your normal FC that is closer to 10% or so of the CYA level, the chlorine at shock level will oxidize your swimsuits, skin and hair faster, probably around 6 times faster or more. Again, this is something many people experience swimming in some commercial/public pools, especially indoors (my wife can attest to this).

So while not ideal or something you'd want to do long-term, it's OK for what you describe. If the kids sweat, then they'll likely smell more monochloramine on their skin shortly after they get out since there will be more chlorine capacity (FC) to react with their sweat and produce a chloramine smell. They may also smell a slightly stronger chlorine smell near the surface since chlorine will outgas faster at its higher concentration. It probably won't be very strong, however.

If you are concerned, then you can certainly let the level drop and pick up shocking again some other time.

As for chlorine loss rates from sunlight, for any given CYA level, the loss rate is proportional to the FC level. At 50 ppm CYA you might expect to lose maybe 30-40% of the FC level during the day though that depends a lot on the amount of sun exposure, latitude (angle of sun), etc. So the FC might drop from 20 to 12-15 ppm. At your more normal FC level of around 4-6 ppm, you'd probably lose more like 1.5 to 2.5 ppm FC per day. 3 ppm per day is on the high side and usually means something more than sunlight, such as algae, is reducing the chlorine level (unless the CYA level is low).

Thanks Chem that was very well explained and answered both my questions perfectly. I'll probably let it drop off a bit then pick it up again, later that night assuming I haven't had too many beers of course.

It also explains why the shorts I use once a week at an indoor pool for work are falling apart so rapidly, I thought I had bought a bad pair.

Cheers

alfspop said:
It also explains why the shorts I use once a week at an indoor pool for work are falling apart so rapidly, I thought I had bought a bad pair.
My wife experiences this same problem with her swimsuits where the elasticity gets shot after just one winter season (5-months) at the indoor community center pool while in our own pool during the summer season (7-months) the swimsuits last for years with minimal signs of degradation. The difference is that the indoor pool has 1-2 ppm FC with no CYA whereas our pool has an FC that is around 10% of the CYA level so equivalent to 0.1 ppm FC with no CYA. So the indoor pool has 10-20 times as much active chlorine that wears on the swimsuit much faster.

Monday morning after a weekend of pretty heavy pool use by loads of kids, and my results today are as follows

Ph 7.4
FC 14
TC 14
TA 80
CYA 45
CH 230

I even got in myself with the kids and its the clearest under water that I have ever Known, there was a fair bit of dirt in the bottom from all of the kids running around the garden and then back in the pool, but I just Vacuumed it all up and into the skimmer sock.

Thanks to everyone on this forum :goodjob: This house now has a beautiful clean clear pool, with a completely de-stressed and confident owner. I can't thank you all enough. I have spent less $$$$ in the last 6 weeks on all chemicals than I did on each of my previous 5 visits to the pool store.

As I vacuumed and tested my pool this morning I realised that my pool no longer controls my life and wallet, I am in charge. YEEEEHHAAAAAAA.

Thankyou TFP :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.