Advice on measuring my kidney-shaped pool?

thechairperson

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2019
Northwest Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We recently bought a home with a pool and I'm just getting started (I just ordered TF-100). What I need next is to figure out how many gallons my kidney-shaped pool is. Anyone have any advice to make that easy?

We recently bought a home with a pool and I'm just getting started (I just ordered TF-100). What I need next is to figure out how many gallons my kidney-shaped pool is. Anyone have any advice to make that easy?
Sure (I was just having this conversation on another thread, btw)
we need to figure out surface area and average depth.

can you sketch out the pool for us?

If you can't sketch it out try to break it down into a couple of easy shapes. It will take two people and a long tape measure. For instance, two circles that overlap each other or two rectangles that cover most of the surface area. From there it's just geometry.

Here's a couple pictures of it. I can do a better sketch/measurements later today when I'm at home.
pretty straight forward. Here's the calculation. Please substitute your actual measurements.

overall length (I'd guess about 40') x average width (I'd guess about 20') x average depth (probably 6') x "free form factor" (I'd say 80%) x 7.5 = 29,000 gallons. (give or take).

Reactions: thechairperson
My son and I went way overboard with calculating the depth of our odd shaped pool. We took a long PVC pipe and marked off feet and inches. Then we held it in the water every foot or so along the length of the pool, taking a measurement of the depth. Then we calculated the volume of each of those 1 foot sections. Added all of those together and we came to 19,000.

Afterwards, we chemically measured the volume using chlorine. 19,000 came out to be spot on, so we should have just measured it chemically from the start and avoided all that work.

I went overboard too. Superimposed the shape from googlemaps satellite view onto an excel spreadsheet and used a formula to approximate the depth of each square cell within the shape. Then figure out the scale of the squares and calculate it all out.

I needed to figure out how much of the pool to drain for 50% water volume. Figured that out and upped my dork credentials all at once!

Use a FAS-DPD test to measure your chlorine level. Add a known amount of chlorine. Measure again. The PoolMath program here or the pool app will tell you how much the level should change for a given pool size. Adjust the pool size in the app until your numbers work out.

Reactions: TheMerk
I went overboard too. Superimposed the shape from googlemaps satellite view onto an excel spreadsheet and used a formula to approximate the depth of each square cell within the shape. Then figure out the scale of the squares and calculate it all out.

I needed to figure out how much of the pool to drain for 50% water volume. Figured that out and upped my dork credentials all at once!
Nah, that's not really overboard.

I thought you were going to tell us that you bought a 3D printer, and duplicated a 1:100 scale model of your pool, then measured the amount of water it took to fill the model.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If u think your pool volume might be 20K gallons. Use poolmath app to figure out how much chlorine to add for 1ppm increase. Then add the chlorine and wait an hr. Did your chlorine go up 1ppm? If yes. Your pool is 20k. If it went up more than 1ppm your pool is smaller than u thought. If it went up less your pool is larger than u thought.

Do it a few times you’ll see the results will start to lead towards the right answer

For instance, one gallon of 12.5% shock will raise the FC level by 6.7 in a 18,000 gallon pool. I actually need to check this since I replaced the water this year along with a new liner. The truck company said 18,000 gallon. I thought it was closer to 17,000 myself. I don't usually check again after I add chlorine since it's always been close enough. When I have time, I'll do just this and pin down the pool size.

Why bother figuring out how much to drain the pool 50%. Why didn't you just drain it half way ???????

Nah, that's not really overboard.

I thought you were going to tell us that you bought a 3D printer, and duplicated a 1:100 scale model of your pool, then measured the amount of water it took to fill the model.

I only have dork credentials. Not true nerd street cred!

Reactions: Lskul60
Half way can be easier said than done if you have a free form pool with varying depths. Now if that was a joke then every joke needs a straight man. I've been told I lack a sense of humor so I'm just doing my part.

Thanks for all the advice! Haven't even gotten to SLAMing the pool yet, but everyone here has been so helpful. I'd be lost otherwise!

Took some detailed measurements and came up with some estimates. Went by a pool store to get some supplies and they were able to use their computer to get fairly accurate measurement, which lined up with my estimates of ~20,000 gallons. Will confirm as I'm adding chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.