Advice on filter

Nova13

Jan 23, 2013
I have small pool about 4,000 gal it has an old pleated cartridge type filter on it which needs to be completely replaced.

Should is be replaced with a sand filter or another cartridge type?

Hayward S166T Pro Series 16-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter
41U4HxrOaFL._SX425_.jpg

or
Hayward EC40AC Perflex Extended-Cycle D.E. Pool Filter

or another pleated cartridge type
Hayward C751 Star-Clear Plus 75-Square-Foot 1-1/2-Inch FIP Pipe Cartridge Pool Filter

pros cons of each

thanks

With a relatively small pool, either a cartridge or sand filter would suffice. Changing the filter type would require plumbing modifications, so you'd have to evaluate the benefits of that, not to mention the demands of backwashing and additional use of water if you're in an area sensitive to water use. (Don't forget to update your profile location :) ) Cartridge filters are usually easy to obtain and not too terribly expensive, especially if you do some on-line shopping. I find that the Pleatco replacements work well for me. You might also like to checkout the TFP Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison page for more info. Hope that helps.

We have guides, experts, and moderators with cartridge, sand, and DE filters and we all have clear pools. Cartridges filter more finely than sand, and DE filters more finely than cartridges, but if your chemistry is good then any filter will work just fine in keeping your water clear. So it really is a matter of opinion what you would like and what you want to deal with, each has its pros and cons.

My cartridge filter housing was degrading and it needed replaced this year, so I replaced it with a sand filter. Surprisingly my water has managed to stay even clearer than with a cartridge, which I realized is probably because I was always slacking a bit with cleaning the cartridge. So despite being an 'inferior' filter, the convenience of the sand filter is giving me better results for less work. Plus I can add some DE if I ever need a polish, which is nice. That's just my personal experience, everyone has their favorite so go with what sounds best to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.