Advice on 20 year old pump replacement

F3506

Silver Supporter
Jun 18, 2018
Grandview, TX
I have an old Hayward 1.5 hp pump and the motor is making loud noises. Shaft is spinning, and I've replaced the impeller previously. I've got flex PVC piping that has small leaks in a couple of places, and the hard piping is all assembled so there's no room to cut it and add a coupler when changing parts.

So since I've obviously got some work to do, do the new fancy variable speed pumps really save on electricity? The Hayward website says 80% savings over a single speed 1.5 hp pump. Is that true?

Pool is odd shaped but somewhere between 15k - 20k gallons. I didn't build it, just inherited it. I've nursed things on long enough. It's time to upgrade if it's worth upgrading.

For sure VS pumps will save on the electrical bill.. I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo that run 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM.. This costs me less than $20 bucks...

After I bought a house with a pool with old equipment, I kept having to patch, patch, patch.. I spent more time fixing equipment issues. I just bit the bullet and install an IntelliFlo VS pump, EasyTouch automation, and IC40 salt cell.. That was about 10 years ago and I have had no equipment failures since then.. If I had to do it all over again, I would have also replaced the DE filter with a cartridge filter, but since it was not all that old at the time I just left it alone.. Since then I have had to work on and then replace the MVP valve, as well as the DE grids..

I find that my time has become the most valuable thing I have.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: F3506
Does HP matter? It seems most variable speed pumps are bigger than the 1.5 hp that I have. Is there a certain size I should shoot for? Is the Pentair pump better than the Hayward?

An SWG would be nice, but I'm worried about the corrosion of the surrounding concrete and the poles for the slide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.