Advice needed

Jan 8, 2017
san jose, CA.
Hello,
My wife and I finally decided to look at getting a pool installed in our backyard. We were thinking of a no frills 12x25 rectangular gunnite pool. We met with one builder and he said it would be between $50-80,000. Is this right? Is it really that expensive? I am going to get bids from other contractors but just want to know if this is what to expect price wise. we live in San Jose California.
Thanks

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: There are many, many variables when it comes to the cost of a pool. Best thing to do is get 2-3 quotes and post the information you're given back on this thread. This way TFP experts can evaluate the specifications from each builder to let you know what makes sense and what may be a waste. We'll be glad to help. Nice to have you with us.

HI! What a fun but scary time for you!

That is quite a swing for the pricing. I would try to get at least 4 other bids. Make sure to get model numbers for the equipment to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

The prices for each are is very different it is hard to say if that is a good price. The bids will help you with that.

Share your designs and pricing and we will work it over for you.

Kim:kim:

S,

I can save you $920.. eliminate the Delta UV system. My guess is you get plenty of sun light in San Jose, so this system is just a waste of money.

Use the search function in the upper right side of this screen and search for UV Systems on this site. You will find mostly negative remarks...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Definitely look into a robotic cleaner.

Most use a salt water chlorine generator for sanitation.

Have the pool builder dump the Rainbow 320 as well. Trichlor pucks may be convenient but that will only be temporary until trouble sets in.

S,

There are four basic ways to sanitize a pool...

1. Your Pool Builders way, using 3" chlorine pucks in a dispenser (plus some magic system like UV or Ozone). The problems that pucks cause is the main reason most people have come this site to begin with, so you will find very little support for this system here at TFP.

2. Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG). This system converts the salt in your pool water into chlorine.

3. Stenner Chlorine pump system. This system pumps liquid chlorine into your pool a little at a time.

4. Manually adding Chlorine. This system requires you to manually maintain the proper chlorine levels in your pool.

The choice is up to you. You can use the search box and review the Pros and Cons of each method.

In my mind, a pressure side cleaner is like the old, black, rotary-dial telephone that your grandparents had, technology wise. Today's robots are more like cell phone... :p

The main difference is that the older cleaners are designed to be left in the pool most of the time, and the robots are designed to be dropped in only when needed.
I have a robot and love it, as I don't really want to see a cleaner in my pool 24/7. Another disadvantage to a pressure cleaner is that for it to run you need to run your main pump at high speed plus run your booster pump. Kind of does away with the advantages of a variable speed pump.

Check out this thread... https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/120447-First-Robotic-Cleaner-Doheny-s-Discovery

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you everybody for replying and the information.
The pool contractor made a 3D model of the design and printed out some pictures for us. I will scan them and put them up here later today.
It has been really hard to get other pool builders to get back to us. I have emailed and called several others and I have only received call backs from this contractor and one other that we have an appointment with later this week.
Is there a certain way that I should approach him when it comes to changing the sanitation equipment?
Thanks everybody,
Tom

- - - Updated - - -

I have not been able to get any fiberglass pool builders to reply back to us.

"Mr. PB, I have been doing some thinking and research on caring for my pool. In my research I found I want to use chlorine in my pool so I do not want the ozone system."

Notice it is all statements. No "I don't think..." or "I think...". That is very important. Statements with a smile and firm handshake and you should be good to go.

Kim:kim:

The quote seems to charge a lot for "solar stubs". Does that price include the plumbing stubs with three-way isolation valves and check valves OR is it just PVC stubs that are capped off? If the later, then you're being over charged...

Another point, that price is only going to go up, not down. For example, you have "standard tile" included. Call around to the various pool tile shops in your area and ask to see what their selection of "standard" pool tiles are...most people find the selection to be rather limited and not very much to their liking. Then ask your PB how much the up charge will be for premium tiles and the linear feet needed for the pool. You'll see a big up charge when you go from standard to "premium". Sadly, pool tile is cheap no matter if they are "standard" or "premium", but the tile shops won't sell directly to the general public and they will NOT give you pricing directly ("Ask your pool builder." is what they will say). It's how they protect their profit margins. Just a heads up is all I'm saying...

I just saw you have solar heating at the end of the quote, HelioCol. So the stubs, will they be automated or manually controlled? I don't see any automation listed. While many PBs will poo-poo automation and say that you don't need it, it's kind of like saying that you really don't need in-house toilet either when a out-house will do just fine...automation makes pool ownership a lot easier in some ways.

You could save some money now by not doing the solar installation. You have a gas heater on the pool and, if you use a bubble cover properly (and you absolutely need a bubble cover with any form of pool heating) then the gas heater may be enough. Yes, solar is "free" but it also means running your pump at higher speed (more energy costs) to get the water up to the rooftop. It may make more sense to just pick one form of heat or the other and then see. If you take out the gas heater and all the plumbing work necessary to get the gas to the equipment pad, then you're going to cut almost $6,000 off the build. You don't have an attached spa on the pool and the volume is going to be low enough that I'm not sure you really need a 400,000 BTU/hr heater (that's the largest heater size possible for a pool).

By the way, if you do stick with gas, find out the size of your current gas meter and the load from all your gas appliances in the house (water heaters, forced air heating system, range tops, etc). A 400,000 BTU/hr pool heater typically pushes the residential gas load well above what the standard meter installed on most homes can handle. This will then trigger the gas company to have to install a larger gas meter which can cost money in certain areas...sometimes a lot of money....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.