Advice for replacing Pentair IC40

texan4ever

Sep 14, 2021
Dallas, TX
My Pentair IC40 has died. I have done a little bit of research and becoming hesitant of purchasing another IC40. Multiple people complaining about units dying prematurely.

I have a 23K gallon pool that was built in 2008 by the previous owner of my house. I purchased the house last summer.

The build out of the system :
  • Pentair IntelliFlow VS+VSRS pump
  • Pentair easytouch control panel model 520593
  • Pentair cartridge filter (egg shaped thing with 4 filters)
  • Pebbletec pool surface
  • EasyTouch control panel inside the house
When I run the self diagnosis on the IC40 I get :
  • Low = RED
  • Pwr=RED
  • Cell=green
  • output/life = 60%

When the IC40 is running the Cell LED is flashing
The date code on the IC40 says 2010
When you look into the unit one of the plates is gone due to corrosion

I am planning to do the install myself ( I have done quite a few rather complex house projects in my many years of homeownership. So cutting some PVC does not scare me)

One of the posts on this forum mentioned circupool. The 4 to 8 year warranties sound much more attractive than the 2year Pentair warranty (if professionally installed)

Suggestions?

Last edited:
With an Easytouch I would replace it with another IC40 or in your case an IC60 would be a better choice.

Other than the flow switch thermistor (which we have an easy workaround for), the Intellichlor are quite good. Expensive, but you should get full life out of them.

Last edited:
T,

Is your current IC40 from the original 2008 build? Look at the bottom of the cell and see what the mfg, date is..

I have replaced two IC40's in the past few years.. One lasted over 9 years and the other over 7 years.. The idea that IntelliChlor cells die prematurely is just not true..

Where did you do your research... Farce-Book???

Most reported early cell failures are not cell failures at all.. They are owner failures.. People that have no clue how a cell works.. or how to maintain a saltwater pool.

Most cells last 5 to 7 years.. They all have about the same failure rate, no matter who's brand it is.

If you have an EasyTouch, the cell is controlled by an RS-485 com port.. This allows you to adjust the output % from the EasyTouch, remote or ScreenLogic. This com port also allows the cell to report the salt reading back to the EasyTouch.

If you install a CircuPool unit, you would not be able to control it from the EasyTouch other than to turn it on or off.

Pentair replacement cells, have a two year warranty and it can be installed by the home owner.. (One of one few items that does not need a pro install..)

I like CircuPool, but keep in mind they have a prorated warranty, so once you are past two years you don't see much of an advantage..

If I did not have a Pentair automation system, I would buy a CircuPool unit, but, since I have an EasyTouch, it would be pretty foolish of me to not buy the IntelliChlor..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss
Answers to questions:

When I run the self diagnosis on the IC40 I get :
low_salt = RED
power=RED
cell=green
output/life = 60%

When the unit is running the CELL LED is flashing
The date code on the IC40 says 2010
When you look into the unit one of the plates is gone due to corrosion

I purchased the house last summer

The cell is 11 years old. It is time to replace it. You got all you can expect from a SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.