Advice for maintaining chlorine levels

Jul 2, 2013
Wesley Hills, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m trying to stick with the TFP method this year, and I’m starting to realize that maintaining proper FC levels is more work than I expected. There are at least 2-3 days a week when I work 24 hr shifts (or longer) and so I can’t check and add LC every day. That seems to be an advantage to my old tab method, with the major caveat that as the season progressed I had a harder and harder time keeping the pool clean.
So what are the options for easier maintenance? I figure SWG, maybe some sort of LC pump system. Anything else? Pros and cons?
Thanks

Short of an SWG, Stenner Pump etc, do you have anyone else at home that can simply add x-amount of bleach to the pool on the nights you are working? If you test the water 4-5 nights out of the week, the levels should be fairly consistent. Simply adding bleach those 2-3 nights you're away should be okay and get you to your days off. That's what I do. My pool takes 1/2 gallon each evening, so if I can't test for some reason or I'm away from home, I just tell someone to add that amount each night.

Or ...... toss the floater in with tabs for those 2-3 days only. Remove the floater when you get home. It's better than being in use all the time.

I frequently find myself adding a full jug of 12.5% every 3 days instead of adding smaller amounts daily. You don’t *have* to test and dose daily. Just put enough extra in to cover 2 days of chlorine loss the day before your 24 hour shift.

I travel quite a bit - often for at least a few days at a time, sometimes up to a week. In the case of a short trip I'll simply overdose if that will get me through without having to involve anybody else... a short trip being 2 or 3 days. For a 4 day trip I will still overdose but have somebody add "1" day of liquid chlorine for me... 5 days I'll do the same as 4 but when I come back I expect my FC to be low. And so on... I keep very detailed records of all tests so I can refer to them and easily get an estimated average for the time I will be gone and that's how much I know to overdose and also how much to have a helper dose for me. All of this, from my understanding of your post/situation, is more involved than what you have to deal with. Having said all that - simply overdose and don't worry about it. Other options you obviously know already, Stenner pump and SWG. Texas Splash's puck suggestion isn't unreasonable either. Hopefully all of this helps.

I usually overdose the pool if I know I will skip a few days. Pool FC is safe to swim below slam levels for your cya, so the range is very broad. I normally add chlorine every few days, just make sure to keep it above the cya/fc chart low ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.