Advice for a new SWG guy....

rheimy

Apr 12, 2021
Ontario
Hey everyone,

Been lurking here for a few years, but decided to create an account to post. I am getting a new vinyl liner installed in a few weeks and am thinking about moving from chlorine to salt at the same time. I am not 100% sure yet what SWG my pool guy will recommend, but I am 99% sure it will be a Hayward model (he's a big Hayward guy!).

I've read a few of the articles (and will read more) over in the Pool School section, but I'm just looking for some generic tips, gotchas, etc. when moving from chlorine to salt. We've been running chlorine since we bought the house (inground pool 16x32) and I find the chemical balancing act to be a bit of a pain in the butt at times!

My current setup is a Hayward variable speed pump, which runs on low 24x7, and tbh, I'm fine with that. It uses so little power on low. I typically only increase the pump sped when people are in the pool, or I'm heating. Also have a Hayward sand filter and offline chlorinator (I know this will be removed from the mix) and a Raypak(?) NG heater. Pool is about 20 years old, and like I said will be getting a new liner shortly. Plan to re-fill the pool using a water truck.

Would love any advice, etc you have or specific articles you can point me to. All help is appreciated, as I am completely new to salt!

I'm just looking for some generic tips, gotchas, etc. when moving from chlorine to salt.
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Be sure to get a SWG that is rated for at least twice the size of your pool. Also get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit now so you can test the salt levels before adding salt. Your salt level is probably already elevated from the sodium by-product in chlorine, so you don't want to dump a ton of salt in only to find out it's too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.