Advice for a Friend....honest! (trying to get another TFP Method user:) )

AmyCJeff

Gold Supporter
May 31, 2023
Henderson, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So...long story short...I have been using TFP for THREE months and it is wonderful!!! It helped me get a handle on my completely messed up pool that we built 3.5 years ago. We were maintaining based on PB advice...but as you all know...that is not ideal.

My brother built his pool 1.5 years ago, and used the same pool builder. THUS, he is maintaining his pool the same way...aka POORLY.
He is now struggling with several issues...including algae. Water is still "blue" (not green or yellow), but algae can be seen in corners
Here are just issues that I know about:
He told me that the Chlorine test he uses just says " ideal" or "not ideal"
He add Chlorine randomly and does not know how much he adds
He never tests for PH
He rarely adds MA (maybe every couple month or so....if not longer)

Right now, here is what he wants to do to address the algae issue (this is what the PB told him to do):
Drain his pool (not a water exchange) but a full empty/drain
Pressure wash/brush the plaster
Then, pour chlorine directly on the plaster to kill the algae, get rid of it off the plaster
Then refill

Here are the current measurements that I TOOK with the Taylor 2002 kit on August 6th:
FC = .5
TA = 180
CH = 1300
PH = 8.0 (This is probably MUCH MUCH higher)
CYA = 60
CSI = 1.3

Basically, here is my question:
What would you advise him to address first, second, third in order to address the Alga issue and get his pool in a "better" place to start implementing the TFP method?

My thought is:
- Get Ph is balance ASAP. This will also drop his TA some, as I think he is going to need a TON of MA to get it below 8
- Do the SLAM process to get rid of the algae (no need to drain, pressure wash, apply chlorine...correct)
- Then Do a 100% water exchange (do not empty completely and refill) to get the CH down
- Then do what you need to do to get TA, PH, CYA and Chlorine within range

I am really not sure if we are allowed to ask on behalf of a friend/brother....lol! But, he seems pretty overwhelmed trying to understand proper pool maintenance (they just had a new baby) so I thought I would help him out a bit and get him on the right path...:)

Do the water exchange first. This will get rid a lot of the algae.

Then do the SLAM Process which will go quicker and use less chlorine.

Buy him a K-2006C or TFT Test Kits as a present.

Have him download PoolMath

After that it is up to him. You can lead a horse to water...

Reactions: AmyCJeff
Do the water exchange first. This will get rid a lot of the algae.

Then do the SLAM Process which will go quicker and use less chlorine.

Buy him a K-2006C or TFT Test Kits as a present.

Have him download PoolMath

After that it is up to him. You can lead a horse to water...
Thanks! I was wondering if I had the order wrong:)

I Will definitely buy him the test kit:). I also told him to stop storing his chlorine in a storage box on the pool deck. It gets WAY TOO hot!

He and I did try and download the Pool math app on his phone...but for some reason it was acting up on his phone. It would go to the main TFP page...but not take me to the pool math section..it was strange. So, for now, I have added his pool to my profile so I can at least do some calculation for him and log test results....until he can get the app up and running.

Yup...I can only lead him down the path....after that it's up to him:)

He and I did try and download the Pool math app on his phone...but for some reason it was acting up on his phone. It would go to the main TFP page...but not take me to the pool math section..it was strange.

iPhone or Android phone?

Did you try and download PoolMath from the app store?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post screenshots of what is coming up on his PM and @Leebo may have ideas.
I wish I could...but I don't have his phone. I can say that when I downloaded the Pool Math app on his phone...the first screen that appears is Trouble Free pool main "login/signin/signup screen". When I set-up his account and logged in...when I clicked on the Pool Math icon in the menu it took me to a screen that says "let us do the math for you" and shows an iPhone....but there is nothing to click on...it makes it look like I need to go the App Store and and download...but when it redirects me to the App Store...it shows I already have the Pool math app....it's like a weird "download app" loop.

FYI, the algae was because there’s no chlorine in the water. Doesn’t need pressure washing or anything like that. May have been using cal-hypo which is why the calcium is so high.
Totally agree…It’s completely related to the fact that his chlorine has run too low for too long 😀 that’s what I keep telling him. I don’t think he needs to go drastic by power washing it.

He has been using shock and pucks (just like I was…because PB told us to). So, his calcium is high because of that. Also, our fill water starts at 300…and our desert evaporation is horrible…so over time it gets out control even when calcium is being added.

Totally agree…It’s completely related to the fact that his chlorine has run too low for too long 😀 that’s what I keep telling him. I don’t think he needs to go drastic by power washing it.

He has been using shock and pucks (just like I was…because PB told us to). So, his calcium is high because of that. Also, our fill water starts at 300…and our desert evaporation is horrible…so over time it gets out control even when calcium is being added.
Is he going to stop using the cal hypo? “Shock” is a generic term for at least three types of chlorine. One of them has calcium in it which I assume contributed his issue.

Is he going to stop using the cal hypo? “Shock” is a generic term for at least three types of chlorine. One of them has calcium in it which I assume contributed his issue.
Yes…I am helping him
To move to the TFP method. So, liquid chlorine and MA is basically all he should be using going forward.

He is using the same “shock” that I WAS using (granules in a bag) that contained calcium…so it did not help his situation

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.