LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Over the years TFP has prided itself on the fact that we’re advertisement free thanks to our supporters. As we expand into other venues like YouTube I personally feel it’s vital for us to continue to keep advertisements off our content. Unfortunately that’s easier said than done.

As I was working on uploading todays video I clicked on an older video and was meant with some ads before our video started. This confused me as I knew I had never activated a Google Adsense account. After reading more it turns out…..doesn’t matter.

Over the last year YouTube has altered its Terms of Service to basically allow them to air Ads on our content without paying us a dime, regardless if we joined their Partner Program. This change is one that’s enforced across all of YouTube. I’m not here to say anything if I personally feel it’s right or wrong, I’m just here to be fully transparent that Ads you may see before TFP’s videos aren’t set by us one bit, they’re totally set by YouTube and don’t profit TFP one bit.

Taking this further, I know at least one person will say “forget it then, air Ads and get that money. May as well profit if they’re gonna do it!” At this point this isn’t even an option as TFP isn’t even eligible to profit from Ads even if we wanted to. To be eligible a channel MUST have had over 4,000 hours of watch time over the last 12 months. TFP at this point falls well below this mark. Because many of our videos last year were VERY short we never saw many hours of view time. As I wrote this we’re currently only at 2,313 hours with most the time coming from the longer discussions from this year. This means we’re way below the requirement to profit even if we wanted to.

So to make a “tldr” quote for everybody IF the comment ever comes up accusing TFP of collecting money from advertising on YouTube,
It’s not our call, we’re not large enough yet to be eligible yet Youtube runs Ads on our content without paying us a dime.

I never understood ads. You either like Heineken or you don’t. The same goes for Subaru. They can show me 7000 ads and I’ll never buy either.

Gotta say I'm not surprised. I've seen this for a couple years now. Just YT's way of trying to get viewers to buy their add-free viewing.
I do suspect there's a way for TFP to break this cycle on our content but I'm not 100% sure it'll work still. What I'm wondering is IF we can get our hours viewed up over 4,000 and enter into the program where we can monetize on videos then we can maybe opt to disable Ad's on all our content. I'm still doing some research on this as I just learned about all this last night, but it's worth some reading about. :)

I do suspect there's a way for TFP to break this cycle on our content but I'm not 100% sure it'll work still. What I'm wondering is IF we can get our hours viewed up over 4,000 and enter into the program where we can monetize on videos then we can maybe opt to disable Ad's on all our content. I'm still doing some research on this as I just learned about all this last night, but it's worth some reading about. :)
I have unlimited data so perhaps i will rewatch the videos on loop in my sleep 😴 & you can meet the mark sooner than later 😁

Reactions: Newdude
Gotta say I'm not surprised. I've seen this for a couple years now. Just YT's way of trying to get viewers to buy their add-free viewing.
I'm convinced they play ads just so they can pop up the "upgrade to pro account so you don't see ads anymore" every 20 minutes.

I wondered why virtually every you tube has ads now, it made me quit watching them. It's a shame TFP can't profit on something like that. I do love that we don't take ads, but wish more people who rave about our advice would contribute.

TFP is by far the best forum I've ever been a part of and I try to do my part to make sure it goes on ad free. Hmmm maybe pool essentials and kemtek would support us, since that's about all we wholehearted endorse!

Thanks for the clarification Leebo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.