Advanced Solar Cover questions - new owner

Pola0502ds

Aug 20, 2019
Youngstown Ohio
I understand the correct times to use a solar cover but i have a question. During the day, how long can i leave the solar cover on if im not planning to use the pool that day or even days? My understanding is that you can leave the solar cover on during the day but you need to remove it at some point to let the way breath, otherwise, all those gases get trapped in the water which then basically turns the pool into a green house and promotes algae growth. Thats what i was told when i bought the pool recently. Is there any truth to that? Or can i go a whole day or even a few days without removing the cover? Its such a pain to take off and put back on being that its 33’ round and no one makes a reel or some other device to assist with it. If i do need to remove it each day, for how long should it be off before i put it back on? If i can leave on for the entire day, how many days can it be left on before i need to remove and let the pool breath?

Welcome to the forum!
There is some truth to needing to let the pool 'breathe' in the sunlight every few days. But it is to release the Combined Chloramines that build up. It does not promote algae growth. That happens if you do not maintain your FC based on your CYA level, see FC/CYA Levels.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

There are reels made for solar covers on above ground pools. Do a search of the forum.

With pump running if you leave it off (even partially) a few hours in bright sun every few days you should be fine. Your daily testing using a proper test kits (see Test Kits Compared) will tell you if you are getting CC build up.

When we used my cover there were times it stayed on for weeks at a time. Especially early and late in the season when nobody feltw like swimming. Maybe i was properly balanced the whole time or maybe i was just lucky. Never had a problem in the 5 years we used it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.