Adjustments to Calcium while Slamming

EbhOasis

Jul 22, 2019
Houston
Hello. Learned a lot the past week. Kept getting a small amount of algae in spots the pool cleaner didn't reach and was getting bad advice from pool store. After finding this site I quickly realized the problem was my CYA was close to 180. After a week of draining/diluting in small increments and with a little help from some rain, I got the CYA down to 60. Algae cleared up just by keeping the FC at the appropriate level while bringing CYA down but figured I needed to SLAM which I started last night. During the process of bringing the CYA down, the TA went very high and Calcium went very low (fill water has TA of 200 and CH of <25). Am I correct in thinking I can go ahead and start correcting CH but should just leave TA alone until SLAM is done?

CYA 60
FC 26
CC .5
pH 7.2 (at start of SLAM)
TA 170
CH 125

Leave TA alone because testing pH is not reliable until FC is below 10. So don’t test or mess with pH or TA during the SLAM Process.

While you can add calcium during the SLAM Process I really prefer making one change at a time. Having low calcium for a while will not damage anything. Once the SLAM Process is complete then work on the calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.