Adjusting Return jets

cmvance

Sep 16, 2019
Columbia South Carolina
The links show pics of our pool:
We have several dead areas in the pool. I'd love to adjust the jets. They appear to be stuck in place. Any ideas on how to adjust them and where they should be pointing? I've tried sticking my finger in the jet and pushing down on it - doesn't budge. Maybe this is total brain damage and it's simple?
And what direction should they be pointed? The one on the stairs is of course pointed toward the skimmer. The one to the right of the ladder is more or less pointing across (and slightly to the opposite corner. The other jet is actually a polaris eyeball stuck in the UWF for a pressure vac system. That Eyeball is also pointing across. Needless to say, rather than debris going to the skimmer, it frequently piles up in the deep end left corner (where the yellow duck chlorine floater is). Thanks for the help!

The links show pics of our pool:
We have several dead areas in the pool. I'd love to adjust the jets. They appear to be stuck in place. Any ideas on how to adjust them and where they should be pointing? I've tried sticking my finger in the jet and pushing down on it - doesn't budge. Maybe this is total brain damage and it's simple?
And what direction should they be pointed? The one on the stairs is of course pointed toward the skimmer. The one to the right of the ladder is more or less pointing across (and slightly to the opposite corner. The other jet is actually a polaris eyeball stuck in the UWF for a pressure vac system. That Eyeball is also pointing across. Needless to say, rather than debris going to the skimmer, it frequently piles up in the deep end left corner (where the yellow duck chlorine floater is). Thanks for the help!

Mine adjust by turning them. I don't know what the best direction is, but I usually face mine towards the center.

Those returns screw out and in fact are 3 parts. I’m assuming it’s been a while since they’ve been taken out. Remove them with a oil filter wrench if you have one, or channel locks (which will marr them up) They are locked in place more than likely from some iron staining or other debris.

Reactions: cmvance
Those eyeballs can get very tight. If you can loosen the retaining ring (its threaded) , you can adjust the eyeballs with your fingers. Channel Locks with the jaws wrapped in elctrical tape (or not), will do the trick on loosening the big ring.

Me? I use the magic of Leverage. I stick a screw driver into the eyeball, and use the screwdriver as a lever to point them wherever I want them to point. you can use a wooden dowell, or piece of small diameter pipe or whatever you might have that fits into the eyeball.

For best circulation, optimally you would want all of the water in the pool traveling in the same direction.

Me? I use the magic of Leverage. I stick a screw driver into the eyeball, and use the screwdriver as a lever to point them wherever I want them to point. .

Screwdriver handle end works best. Find a screwdriver handle that fits well into the eyeball.

Reactions: cmvance
Those eyeballs can get very tight. If you can loosen the retaining ring (its threaded) , you can adjust the eyeballs with your fingers. Channel Locks with the jaws wrapped in elctrical tape (or not), will do the trick on loosening the big ring.

Me? I use the magic of Leverage. I stick a screw driver into the eyeball, and use the screwdriver as a lever to point them wherever I want them to point. you can use a wooden dowell, or piece of small diameter pipe or whatever you might have that fits into the eyeball.

For best circulation, optimally you would want all of the water in the pool traveling in the same direction.
Great idea, with circulation, if all the jets are pointed the same direction- moving in a circle, none of them will be 'moving' the water closest to the deep end. Although, theoretically, all the water would move via the circulation?

Every spring all 3 parts get a big smear of jacks lube and they come apart easily at the end of the year, or adjust easily in the meantime

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.