Adjusting chemicals in new pool

TF-100 results! :goodjob: You mentioned above you need to do a SLAM Process, so you have the right idea:
1 - No need to add any stabilizer at this point. Your CYA is closer to 40, so we'll call it 40 which makes your SLAM/Shock FC level a "16" as seen on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].
2 - Just be careful with the muriatic acid. It's strong, so go in stages if you have to. Since your pH seems to be quite high (deep purple) over 8.2, when using PoolMath, enter ranges like "8.2 to 7.4" at first to determine the proper dosage amount. Let the water mix for about 15-20 minutes and check again. You should start to see the color changing. If you need to go lower, then do it again until you get the pH to about 7.2 (orange) which is perfect to start the SLAM Process. If you already added that full gallon of acid, then just re-test in about 20 minutes or so to see how it worked. Safety reminder - never add bleach and muriatic acid at the same time in the same location. Let one mix for a few minutes before adding the other. Consider brushing a bit if needed.

After that, you are ready to SLAM Process the pool. Maintain that FC of 16 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!

Please help clear something up for me. Why does she need to SLAM a newly plastered pool? Of all the reading and research done on my part it has been said to NOT SLAM a new plastered pool. Am I missing something here?

Again, please forgive my ignorance.

Thank you.

Please help clear something up for me. Why does she need to SLAM a newly plastered pool? Of all the reading and research done on my part it has been said to NOT SLAM a new plastered pool. Am I missing something here?

Again, please forgive my ignorance.

Thank you.
I think you missed a post above. But in general, we do try to avoid SLAM'ing a newly plastered pool.

Okay. I’ve got it now.
This pH has been a bugger. I think we’ve added no less than 7 gallons acid in past 1.5 weeks.
Something about new plaster causing this?

Yes, new plaster curing causes the PH to rise as it does. The chemical reaction in the curing puts gas into the water that raises the PH. It can take a few months for plaster to fully cure.

Yes, new plaster curing causes the PH to rise as it does. The chemical reaction in the curing puts gas into the water that raises the PH. It can take a few months for plaster to fully cure.

Okay. Thank you.
One more question, then I think I’ll have gotten this til some problem!
Ive seen posts about people not liking the automatic feeders because the tabs have stabilizer in them, and then the ratio can get off. i also understand that’s why a lot of people have salt chlorinators.

My question is: do many of y’all not use the chlorine tabs and instead just add bleach and stabilizer as the testing demands? I don’t want to get in situation with too much stabilizer... and no need to buy chlorine tabs anymore if I should just add each component independently...

My question is: do many of y’all not use the chlorine tabs and instead just add bleach and stabilizer as the testing demands?
For chlorine, I simply test each evening and add bleach at that same time. Pour bleach slowly near the return jet(s).

For CYA, I test it once a month or so, more if there was a large water exchange. If it needs to be increased, I buy granule stabilizer and use the sock method as follows:
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

dbtgallery.php

I wanted to thank everyone for their quick responses and willingness to help newbies. Since getting my good test kit and studying a little of this site, I have perfect water chemistry, and I’m very confident in my abilities to take care of the pool. Thank you again to everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.