Adding tabs as a backup

Jun 18, 2015
Madison, AL
We've been having trouble staying stocked in liquid chlorine lately. I've been thinking of adding the means to use tabs, especially when my CYA is low. Good idea? Bad idea? I know that tabs raise CYA, but mine is at 35 right now. I either need to add some stabilizer or start using tabs for a while.

If recommended, what are pros & cons of the chlorinators vs floaters? I think I would prefer a chlorinator, but that would have to be installed, as opposed to just dropping in some floaters.

Use a floater. That way you can easily remove the tabs.

Reactions: BowserB
Sure it’s ok to use tabs, as long as you know what you are adding to the pool. Avoid any “blue“ product, they contain copper. Since you are only using them occasionally to raise CYA or while on vacation, I would just opt for a floater.

Is it ok to mix tabs & liquid? Let's say I want to keep the FC at 4 with tabs. I put in a couple of floaters, then check it after a couple of days. Say It's around 2. So can I add liquid to bring it up to 4, then adjust my floaters (say, add another one) to see what it takes to maintain FC at the level I want?

Yes. The key is testing and knowing what’s in your pool and effects what you’re adding.
Keep an eye on the tabs. Slower release of FC and you’re aware of the CYA and to watch
that (it will build quickly). Use PoolMath to see how much it will add.
You can always use liquid chlorine as primary or, in this case, to supplement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.