Adding SWG to current setup - Cost and feasible?

Ejosh87

May 11, 2019
Florida
I am thinking of adding a swg to my current setup. Right now I’m using a pool company but want to change to doing it myself. The only thing that makes me hesitant is doing the liquid chlorine daily since I have a very hectic schedule on and off.

Would it be worth considering the option of adding a SWG to my current setup? I would most likely need to hire a pro to install it. Does it help save time? Or in cases where I would be away for a week would it be helpful?

Do you know what cost range we would probably be looking at?

Current pump is Pentair Superflo VS.

If your gonna take care of the pool yourself and you have a hectic schedule, a SWG is made for you. Once you get your SWG dialed in, you can scale down the frequency of testing. Go with a system designed for a 40K gallon pool. Pricing varies, but I would budget $1200-$1600 for the SWG, electrical, and timer. With the savings on chlorine and the pool man, you'll pay for it in 6-months.

I agree with Mike, SWG make maintaining the pool with a hectic schedule or vacation so much easier.
I aslo agree to size it for 40k gallons.
I think with having to pay an installer you are probably looking at $1500.
The equipment is probably in the $900 range.
Do you have any kind of DIY experience with wiring an outlet or PVC work? The install is not very hard.

Reactions: jdlangley1
Ejosh-with the help of TroubleFreePool, I installed my own this past weekend. I went with the circupool core 35.

If I can do it, anyone can. This is the one install where my wife complimented my work. Any other DIY, she says I should have hired a professional.

Hmmm now you got me thinking lol. I have wired outlets and light switches before, never cut or really worked with PVC. Wondering if I should just watch some YouTube videos etc. I wouldn’t consider myself “handy” but I’ve learned over the past couple years. I also do have an outlet by my pool equipment if easier to just plug it in and use weatherproof cover for outlet (although I don’t mind hardwiring it if suggested)

As for the reason to size it for a 40k pool when 14k pool, is that because it will be more efficient or be able to produce more chlorine over longer periods of time?

What would the suggested SWG systems to look at be?

Speaking of which my pool I estimate anywhere from 12k-14k but having a hard time determining its exact size since it’s kidney shaped, with spa, and I’d guess on the smaller size but not extra small.

Last edited:
Generally, you want a SWG rated for twice the size of your pool. The production ratings are based on running the SWG for 24 hours a day 100% CL output. Going larger allows you to run the SWG for less time at a lesser output, which means your cell will last longer. If your closer to 10K gallons, you could go smaller. Your choice based on price and value.

The plumbing aspect of the install is nothing more than measuring, cutting pipe, slapping on some glue, and installing the unit. The electrical may be a little more challenging. You'll need to locate the power source, run wire to the timer, then attach the power cord from the unit to the timer.

There's plenty of help here, but only you know your own limitations.

I’d probably just go with 35k-40k+ anyway then incase I’m measuring wrong. Right now we use the Pentair Superflo VS for the timing, would the SWG connect to the pump then since it decides the timing?

Ejosh-with the help of TroubleFreePool, I installed my own this past weekend. I went with the circupool core 35.

If I can do it, anyone can. This is the one install where my wife complimented my work. Any other DIY, she says I should have hired a professional.
This unit looks very good. I’ll definitely consider that one, did you hardwire it? Also what retailer did you use?

I did hard wire it to the pump relay. So it now powers on only when pump is running.

I ended up buying through Amazon after discussing with circupool that it was still covered under warranty.

I had a bunch of unused gift cards.

However, Discount Salt Pools is doing a sale. You can buy the core 15 and for $1, upgrade to the core 35.

I’d probably just go with 35k-40k+ anyway then incase I’m measuring wrong. Right now we use the Pentair Superflo VS for the timing, would the SWG connect to the pump then since it decides the timing?

Do you have any automation, like a control panel in addition to the controls on your pump?

You pump receives constant power. Pump cycling is achieved through the pump's control panel. The Intelliflo Superflo has no way to power the SWG on/off. Your SWG requires a separate power source with a timer so it can be set to only be on when your pump is on. If you allow someone else to install your pump, make sure it's wired this way. Although most SWGs have a flow switch which will shut them off when low flow is detected, it should not be relied upon to control the unit.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have any automation, like a control panel in addition to the controls on your pump?

You pump receives constant power. Pump cycling is achieved through the pump's control panel. The Intelliflo Superflo has no way to power the SWG on/off. Your SWG requires a separate power source with a timer so it can be set to only be on when your pump is on. If you allow someone else to install your pump, make sure it's wired this way. Although most SWGs have a flow switch which will shut them off when low flow is detected, it should not be relied upon to control the unit.
I do have a timer box. The one with gears in it. I believe the pump installer just set it to always on so he removed the metal clips that make it act as a timer since the pump was doing the timing. Assuming that’s what would be used?

You could probably make it work, but the box would need to be wired so the pump is not on the load side of the circuit. Folks here are sometimes cautious about giving advice on electrical work. When the time comes, you could post for assistance. Having the timer will save you a bit of cash.

Attached is what I currently have for my setup. I'm confused on what the thing is to the left side above Skimmer / Pool Drain (left of Spa Drain) before the pump. Any ideas of what that may be? I would have thought it's a Pool Vacuum inlet but I don't see anywhere in the pool where that may be.

With this current setup does it seem like installing the SWG may be possible as a DIY? I'm assuming I would have to remove the Chlorinator and put the SWG there since no other return piping that would fit it (hopefully SWG even fits there). Currently, the chlorinator is empty. My main concern is where/how to attach the electrical correctly to make it work and avoid any issues (i.e. pump not running when SWG comes on).

Any thoughts? Would love to integrate the SWG shortly if it's feasible as a DIY.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    739 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    665.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    643.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    629.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    557.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    460.9 KB · Views: 47
Looks like a suction vac valve. Does it do anything if you open it?

The space your chlorinator is in is most likely too short for a SWCG. You may have to install a vertical loop. Plus all the connections are buried. May need to consider a full replumb. Others may have better ideas.

You have a timer. Use it for the SWCG as you have a timer/scheduler on the VS pump.

Looks like a suction vac valve. Does it do anything if you open it?

The space your chlorinator is in is most likely too short for a SWCG. You may have to install a vertical loop. Plus all the connections are buried. May need to consider a full replumb. Others may have better ideas.

You have a timer. Use it for the SWCG as you have a timer/scheduler on the VS pump.

Dang :( I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but did think the same. That would take away the DIY part. Worst case I can suck it up and just do Liquid Chlorine for now but hoping someone sees a different option with the current setup.

EDIT: But that is a suction Vacuum! :) I can't believe my pool guy swore I didn't have one. Turned it on and there it went. The inlet looks exactly like the return jets so didn't know until I put my hand over it. I'm assuming I can just unscrew that eyeball/ring so I can fit the Zodiac MX8 hose there. Is it ok to leave the attachment piece in there for the hose to connect to, even when the Zodiac/Hose isn't in the pool or should I be putting the Cover/Eyeball thing back over it when not in use for any reason?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.